Hiatt filtration system - My own test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following along, curious to see how this shakes out. :)

I would also agree that PWC's are the best option. My LFS girl keeps telling me I do too many water changes. LOL She tells me once a month is fine. BUT out of her last shipment of fish I don't think any survived so I for sure am not taking that advice. She also said pwc's arent really necessary if you dose. But as stated above there are trace elements that I don't believe you can dose for.

Just my input now I'll wait and see.

well really once a month is fine in an established system, its just when it comes down to a heavy coral load then dosing is required.

in terms of corals, its either not do pwc's and have to dose... or do pwc's and perhaps not have to dose... guess its a personal choice

thats what i was thinking as well... i mean if someones running a 300-400g sw reef, hed be looking at 30-40g pwcs a week...thats a bucket of salt a month...crazy! and just imagine the ro water..thats 120g a month in ro water. . not including the run off the rodi creates
a can of salt a month is not a big expense. the water bill was an extra 30 bucks every 3 months. i did 50 gallons a week on my 300 gallon system, and it was very healthy up until i broke it down. add up all of the things you need to dose.
adding "kent elements" is not a good idea because you don't even know what's lacking and what isn't. in order to keep the tank close to NSW, you'd have to test for all things individually, and add individually. the tank in the pictures doesn't even need any dosing at all. there is no coral load. dosing is only needed for a coral tank.

here is a picture of my old 5' 195 gallon. nothing but weekly water changes, and full of basket ball sized sps colonies (also metal halide lighting, and no chiller either)-
img_1461238_0_a0f20a0fb937c5514f2857ffb3582c4d.jpg

I just have ich from my coral beauty, I don't know if was the stress or what but it pollute all my other fishes in less than a week, the only one's that they still alive are the inverts......is sad but another thing to learn.

Back
Top Bottom