High Alk...good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
My alkalinity is around 3.5.....no worries if it is bad, nothing in the tank right now, just slowly adding LR

Doesnt high alk help buffer the PH?

High alk will help where low pH is a problem, otherwise it's of no use. The level you have now is on the higher side but nothing dangerous. Just watch it and be sure it does not climb higher.

Are you adding any buffer? If so, why?

Cheers
Steve

I am not using any buffer, I added some LR and did a 25% PWC to the tank and it went from 2.5 to 3.5 overnight. Just checking to make sure it is OK. No fish in the tank just LR and 3 small anemones. I plan to add a psuedo or something small.

I dont have a CA test, but the PH is 8.4.

I plan on keeping reef very soon....in addition to my NO2, NO3, NH3/NH4, Alk and PH test, what other tests should I buy?...CA is one obviously.

P5100350.jpg

SeeDemTails said:
what other tests should I buy?...CA is one obviously.
Other than the Ca, a PO4 test might be a good idea. It's not a must but can come in handy if you ever get algae problems. There are many test kits out there and few will ever be a must have except what you already have. The one thing to remember is if you use an additive, buy a test kit that can monitor the additions you make. If there's no kit, don't buy the additive.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom