High Calcium Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ilostnemo said:
id get a seachem test kit. deff best on the market

Without sounding like a smart a$$... is this true or opinion? Looking for facts if I'm going to shell out the money for it.

Great input everyone. Wish I had access to one that I could do a head to head comparison with before I buy one. What about all the other stuff that comes in the API Saltwater Master and the API Reef Master? If the others only sell individual tests, would it be feasible to only buy those for the ones API doesn't do well on? Then, use up what I have of the API before I shell out all the cash for the others?

On another note, I didn't see anyone answer my other questions which is at what point do I need to be concerned about the calcium levels? What is the min/max I should be trying to maintain and if it exceeds the max, what methods are best for reducing it?

Again, thanks to all of you for the help.

What is the min/max I should be trying to maintain and if it exceeds the max, what methods are best for reducing it?
You calcium level should be anywhere betwwen 380-450.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"It does not appear that boosting the calcium concentration above natural levels enhances calcification (i.e., skeletal growth) in most corals. Experiments on Stylophora pistillata, for example, show that low calcium levels limit calcification, but that levels above about 360 ppm do not increase calcification."

The only way to really drop it is do water changes with a salt that has a lower calcium level than your system has.

Thanks ccCapt. I appreciate the info.

Going to go in this weekend and have a LFS run a full battery of test so I can see if it is just bad results on my part.

Back
Top Bottom