High KH - help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so here are all of my parameters:

pH: 7.5
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 20
Ca: 380
KH: 16.8 (!)
Mg: 1280
PO4: 0.08

And a little background: I started using Instant Ocean saltwater salt. For the past three (5g) water changes I have used Instant Ocean reef salt. I realized after I checked that I had been grabbing spring water instead of distilled. I checked the KH of the spring water and it was high so I assume that's why my KH is so high on top of the reef salts adding KH.

My question: I went out and bought distilled water - should I just keep doing 5g water changes with the reef salt and distilled water until my KH returns? Or will it drop on its own? I read somewhere someone had suggested to just leave it and it will drop.

Thanks!

What test kit are you using? That measurement should be in dKh or meq
Edit: oops nvm the dKh/meq comment. But yeah what test kit

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm that's extremely high. No coral in the tank right? Measure your next batch of sw. It could be a bad batch of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No corals. Will measure my next batch tomorrow.

Ok the salt is mixing right now with the distilled water.

I tested the distilled water and the test colour changed to the end colour immediately. So I know that water is fine.

I'll test the water after its finished mixing. I'm pretty sure the salt mix is fine. But will post results in a couple hours when it's fully mixed :)

If you have no corals, I wouldn't even be testing for it. Getting corals soon? All you need to do to lower alk is add some calcium.

If you have no corals, I wouldn't even be testing for it. Getting corals soon? All you need to do to lower alk is add some calcium.

I would like to get corals yes. As soon as I can get my lights lol. My calcium right now is 420. If I add calcium won't that make that rise? Will they even out? It's not gonna be about a month until I get corals. Or should I just keep doing the 5g water changes with the distilled until the alk drops?

You should stop wasting your test kits until you are ready. I would just let it sort itself out with weekly water changes.

A RODI can always help. You can be sure the water is 100% pure. It depends on the size of the tank and how much water you are using to figure on how much of a value it would be v.s. purchasing water.

A RODI can always help. You can be sure the water is 100% pure. It depends on the size of the tank and how much water you are using to figure on how much of a value it would be v.s. purchasing water.

It's on my purchase list for when I have the funds ;)

Back
Top Bottom