Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You need to get a new test kit. I also use API. I called their customer service and was told that if you don't do it correctly from the very first time you got the bottles, when you finally use it correctly the chemical that reacts to the nitrate will be way too high and give you a really high reading. You need to get a new test, and be sure to shake the 2nd bottle vigerously for at least 30 seconds, then shake the whole vial well for a minute.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah thats what i didnt do mate i overlooked it and thought that shaking a bottle wont make any difference

Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are the readings now after shaking the nitrate bottle #2?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

no mate before when i tested it was reading 0. then when i did it properly and shook it it read 160+ so i did a 20% water change and it went down to 140 so i did another change and just about to test now
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

iv just read about adding vodka to my system to reduce the nitrate anyone have any issues with this or know anything about it
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

also i read something someone put about instead of using ro water they used bottled mineral water anyone know anything about this
Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is mineral water you are adding minerals to the tank that you may not want. The thoughts behind using RO/DI is that the water is very close to pure. When you add the salt to it, you are adding only the things you want which gives you much better control.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513
iv just read about adding vodka to my system to reduce the nitrate anyone have any issues with this or know anything about it
The best way of doing the vodka dosing is to stand beside the aquarium,use a shot glass and keep dosing yourself until all looks great in you're aquarium and the world.LOL

Seriously you need more rock and better filtration ,along with PWC's your nitrates will start dropping.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
The best way of doing the vodka dosing is to stand beside the aquarium,use a shot glass and keep dosing yourself until all looks great in you're aquarium and the world.LOL

Seriously you need more rock and better filtration ,along with PWC's your nitrates will start dropping.
Now that is my kind of dosing.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I really think you should try a new test kit and your nitrate is not as high as you think. I went through the nitrate problem and ended up calling API. They explained to me that if you use the bottles without shaking you are using the liquid without any of the active ingredient that gets stuck at the bottom of the bottle. Then when you finally do shake it like you're supposed to, the ratio of active to inactive has changed and you will be getting way too much of the chemical that reacts with the nitrate and give you false high readings. He said it happens all the time to their customers. You have to get a new one and shake it every time.

As a side note, I really did have high nitrates because of starting my tank with bad tap water. After several huge water changes it was still too high. I tried Instant Ocean Natural nitrate Reducer and it brought it down to zero after several weeks and stayed at zero without adding any more. Tons easier than all the water changes, of course I still change 10% every two weeks. The owner of a trusted LFS said this is using a theory similar to vodka dosing but safer. I know there are many purists on this site who advocate only natural things and water changes.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com