high nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi just tested my water and amonia and nitrite is at o. good news. but the nitrate is way high at 140. iam doing pwc at 20% iv done 2 so far over the weekend but its still high. its comming down but still 140. will nitrate harm anything in my tank

I am also battling nitrate in all of my tanks. Even when I do 50% water changes, it is still high :banghead:. I feel your pain. The only thing I can think of is just more water changes, with more water taken out.:(

its a real pain mate.. as i dont want to disrupt the tank to muck iam only doing a 20% change every couple of days. while iam waiting to do the changes will the high level do any harm to anything.

Sounds like you have an issue that is hiding. You do have a skimmer right. Can you give us some tank details

no the skimmer isnt running yet but i thought that reduced amonia not nitrate. what do you mean an issue that is hiding. and i have about 6lb live rock. i know its not enough but iam adding it a bit at a time.

craig_will2513 said:
no the skimmer isnt running yet but i thought that reduced amonia not nitrate. what do you mean an issue that is hiding. and i have about 6lb live rock. i know its not enough but iam adding it a bit at a time.

You don't have enough rock to hold enough bacteria to control the nitrates.

Hi nitrates can be 'hiding' so to speak. You need to make sure there is no muck anywhere {under rocks or in any 'dead' spots}Also the live rock you have may not be properly 'cured'? Did you sniff it before buying? It should smell like fresh sea water?

Need to tell us a lot more about your tank. Size (with only 6 lbs of rock)? Substrate type? Skimmer? Inhabitants, and what you feed them, and how often.

You sure your test kit is reliable? 140 is crazy. No warning, just tested it one day and it was that high?

tank is 35g 6lb live rock crushed coral not got my skimmer running yet but its a biopro sk75 feed either brine shrimp misis shrimp and rotifiers about every other day. i have a sand sifting star cleaner shrimp common clown sulphur goby strawberry baslet green mandarin valantini puffer zoas xenia and leather toadstool. i use api saltwater master test. i was doing test wrong for ages then read book and did it right and it was over 160 iv done 2 20% water changes. its comming down but not much

Crushed coral can be a prime suspect. How long has it been in the tank. I've read plenty of posts over the years about how nitrates are a problem with it. I'd bump up the rock to at 35-50 lbs also.

really should i change it for live sand. also as live rock is very expensive i can only add a little at a time. its £15 for 2lb. also the crushed coral sand has been in there for about 3 months

There are plenty who have changed it to sand for just that reason. Also, look into base rock. Much cheaper and it'll look like the live stuff in no time. But you do need more rock to help with the bilogical filtration.

Base rock will turn to live rock over time. I would get that skimmer running asap and see how that helps. Crushed coral has a lot of crevices for harmful matter to hide. I find it amazing you aren't losing fish at this point

why would i be loseing fish. is base rock the same as ocean rock. i thought nitrate was not harmfull to inhabitants

In low levels it is not but it is best to keep it below 10 at the very least and below 5 if you can. Of course 0 is even better.

Hi best idea is to get your protein skimmer up and running,also i have found 'polyfilter' very good at reducing nitrate and loads of other nasty stuff! If your tank smells 'fresh' then its probably cured ok,just need some more living rock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom