Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

20ppm and below is acceptable for nitrates. Also, if your test kit never says anything different from the time you mix it to after you add it to the main, and thru multiple water changes, I'm really thinking your test kit is no good.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

no i mix the new water in a tub and test it everything reads 0 i test my tank it reads about 40 on nitrate. so i do the water change leave it a while and test again and it is still the same so i know its not the test as the fresh water reads0

Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513
no i mix the new water in a tub and test it everything reads 0 i test my tank it reads about 40 on nitrate. so i do the water change leave it a while and test again and it is still the same so i know its not the test as the fresh water reads0
This doesn't make sense. How big of a water change are you doing? If you do a 50% water change in your tank- your nitrates should be cut in half. I can only think of three things that could be going wrong. You are not shaking the test long enough (one minute before dropping and 30sec to one minute after test for API products), you are waiting too long to read your test results (max five minutes for API test), or you are letting your saltwater sit too long before doing your water change (still saltwater in a bucket can cause nitrates to spike- don't know how but it happens).
Also, how long are you waiting before you retest??? A day? If so, do you rinse your frozen food off in RO/DI water? The excess can cause nitrates.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i follow the test as it states on instructions.. before i retest i normally wait a few hours and my frozen food i take water from tank and add the cubes wait till its defrosted then add it back to the tank.. i mix the water for around 3-5 hours then change it. i was told by red sea that thats ok for the salt i use.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513
i follow the test as it states on instructions.. before i retest i normally wait a few hours and my frozen food i take water from tank and add the cubes wait till its defrosted then add it back to the tank.. i mix the water for around 3-5 hours then change it. i was told by red sea that thats ok for the salt i use.
Try to strain the shrimp from the water. All the juices from the cubes can cause issues as well. I use a cup of RO let it thaw, then strain.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just defrost in tap water in a shot glass then dump in net and pour some more water over it, drain and then straight into my DT. I do run a PO4 reactor, so I'm not really worried about a couple of ounces of tap water.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com