Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

high nitrate

hi all sorry to keep going on about this as iv been on before with the same problem. well i had massively high nitrates and so i did a huge almost 100% water change and then 2 more 50% water changes over the week to get rid of nitrates. but they are still there i have seen a huge improvment though went from reading of the scale to around 20-40 ppm and no matter how many water changes i do it stays the same so has anyone any idea why this is and possible causes or solutions. my tank is 125l it has around 16kg rock live sand plenty of flow.. it has the standard juwel filter system with all the sponges it came with also iv added a nitrate sponge to try help me out. iam not running a skimmer at the min as its in a small sump and the return pump is very loud. not sure if there is anything els you need to know. light i have 2x 28w t5 ho. one bule one white both marine. amonia nitrite are both 0 as for tank life i have a few hermits sand star cleaner shrimp red firefish blue cheek goby and a valantini puffer i have a nice leather toadstool and a mini maxi new all doing grate. so can some one please help me out... thanks in advance craig williams

Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

also whats is a good level for nitrate

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

you just need to keep doing water changes, i have had high nitrates bought some instant ocean natural nitrate reducer from big als after 1 dose and a couple days my nitrates were down to 5 from 40
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Could a faulty test kit be the problem I wonder.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

the test kit is ok i think. also iv dont loads of changes and they dont move a bit
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Could a faulty test kit be the problem I wonder.
+1 have someone else check your nitrates to see if it's your test
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

also i would recommend getting a protein skimmer as it gets dissolved organic compounds out of the water which will eventually lead to high nitrates
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

iv tested the new mixed water and it reads 0 i add it to the tank wait a while for it to mix with old water and test again and it reads the same as it did before. i will get the skimmer up and running soon
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am wondering if it is your rock that has absorbed nitrates before you got them. Do you have any macro algae to help bring it down? When was the last time you saw your star?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

could you elabourate on what you was saying about my rock please joy.. no macro algae and i see my star all the time he is out and about right now

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com