Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

High Nitrate levels, help?

I've had my new 29 g marine tank for 6 weeks, hoping the cyle is almost over. I was given the go ahead for fish by my local store who set me up, and I've got 1 clarkii clown, and a blue damsel and 1 midadlantic blue tang. I've got about 30 lbs of figi live rock and live sand. They are happy.
I'm anxious to finish cycling so I can add anenome, but with nitrates that high, I'm not ready. I've got a protein skimmer and flugal filter running. Should I change my water yet?
thanks

Old 02-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It sounds like you put too many fish at one time. Plus I dont think the 30 gal is big enough for the tang

MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Way to many fish way to soon, man I cant believe the lfs sold you that, even if it was ready for fish thats too many fish all together, take all the fish back but the clown or damsel. Tank is way to immature to handle all the bio load of that many fish this soon, Do a 20-30% water change daily untill you get them down, I would bet that your amonia and no2 is rising as well. Just take the fish back and start slowly. I have a 150 and wouldt drop that many fish it at once, that blue tang needs to be in a 75 or better tank min. That fish gets up to a foot in length, Research before you buy to avoid this in the future.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also I would keep the clown and ditch the damsel. They are a nuisance and aggressive. they will cause trouble in the long run and once you are completely setup he will be near impossible to catch without breaking down the tank/.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

High nitrates doesn't mean that the "cycle isn't over". Nitrates are the end product of a MATURE cycle, and will always tend to accumulate. They need to be ACTIVELY reduced in some manner - either by living things in the tank/sump (probably the best way), chemical treatments of the water ( ), and/or partial water changes.

To see if your cycle has resumed as a result of too-many-fish-too-fast, you need to test for ammonia and nitrites.

With high nitrates (you didn't indicate a level), you'll do yourself and your fish some good if you do some water changes, as others have suggested.

You also didn't mention if you had any inverts, which aren't big fans of high nitrates.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My nitrates are at 80ppm, my nitrites at 0.5 ppm.ammonia read at almost nil.
No inverts at this time, I'm worried its too early. I've done only one water change, and that at only 20%. I understood that tang would stay small, not true?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heck no, that tang will get huge, 80ppm is WAY to high, you are approaching a 50% water change imo but your wasting your time doing anything with the fish still in the tank, get them out asap.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
I have to agree, too many fish too fast. If you have any detectable ammonia and nitrite your tank is not done cycling. I would take back all of the fish. Sound like you need to find a new LFS. They gave you very bad advice. Unfortunatly, there is no tang that would be a good choice for a 30gal. Like mentioned, they need at least a 75gal, even small ones. Another LFS mis-direction. Let your tank sit for another couple of week and add just one fish, wait 3-4 weeks before adding another. I would also caution you about the anemone. These are very sensitive creatures and require a very stable tank. They do best in mature sytems of several months (8-12months minimum) before you should consider adding one. Sorry you are having all of these problems in the begining. YOu found the best spot on the web for accurate and friendly advie. Keep stopping back and take everything the LFS tells you with a grain of salt...Lando
Old 02-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with Lando- take your fish back and seriously give the guy heck who sold them to you. In the future save yourself some hassle and post on here before you do anything else as there are a lot of knowledgable people on this site. I find you really have to look to find someone at an lfs you can trust. I have found the people who are most honest with me and who's advice has actually helped and I deal strictly with them. Welcome to AA and please stop here first
Old 02-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My nitrates are at 80ppm, my nitrites at 0.5 ppm.ammonia read at almost nil.
Sounds like the conditions near the end of a cycle, don't you think? Time for a water change. Remember that even if you take MOST of the fish back, yu'll still need an ammonia source to feed the cycle. If it were my situation, I'd leave a hardy fish in there (or take them all back and continue to feed the tank) and reduce the nitrates by water changes, which I would start doing immediately.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrate levels, level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com