Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Snoopybdb
high nitrate levels..help?

On thursday i added some live rock and did a 30% water change. On saturday i added a few more pieces of liverock. Yesterday i tested te water and the the ph, nitrite, and ammonia levels were fine, but the nitrate was very high, so i changed 6 gal of water again. What should i do? Is there anything else i can do to reduce the nitrate levels other than water changes? I don't want to loose the new corals i just put in. Any ideas on what could be making the nitrate levels so high when all the others are ok? Thanks!

Old 03-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

We need more info about your tank..
Size, what type of substraight.... Sump or wet dry, use of bioballs? How long has it been up
Canister filter do you change/clean
what type of water do you use
Was the lr u added cured?
What were your amm and nitrite levels and what is you nitrate readings.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

30 gal. crushed coral. wet dry. no bioballs. the tank will be 2yrs in aug. the water i use for changes is bottled spring water, bought from the store(is there somthing better to use?). yes cured lr. amm was between 0 and .25 ppm. nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 40 ppm. my boyfriend thinks that rinseing the testing viles in tap water might be giving me an inaccurate reading, but the the almost 2 years that i've been testing the tank my levels have stayed at or near 0 since the original cycle. i have never seen any levels this high, since the original cycle.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually adding the lr will decrease your no3 in time. I would opt for a few more water changes untill the lr has time to catch up and not sweat it to much untill then. If and when a week or so passes and then you still have high no3 I would lean toward the cc bed. Could be that you adding the lr disrupted it enough to let the built up no3 escape into the water but should still clear up in time either way. IMO
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, have the tests verified by another kit or the LFS. The two main causes of high NO3 are over-feeding an over-stocking. What is your current livestock list? What and how often are you feeding?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

CC can trap waste and break down into NO3, do you vac the CC bed?
Have you tested the spring water..... IMO and from reading Spring water can be worse then using tap water.
RO/DI is the best we can get, they sell them on ebay for $100 and there are a lot of sites that sell them also. rinsing the vials is fine they will dry before you use them again...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

up until the day i tested the water i had a yellow tang, a clown fish, and a black and white stripped damsel, also a feather duster, a cleaner shrimp and some turbo snails, that day i took the damsel out and added a purple and yellow dottyback and since have added a firefish, and a couple of corals. i am concidering taking the dottyback out since it's picking on other things( lfs guys sold it to me and then today asked me how my cleaner shrimp was doing and when i told him the dotty back was picking on it he laughed HOW MEAN!)
Now that i read some of the posts you have left me i had to move all the lr to catch the damsel, so it might be that i stirred up the tank alot and that's what gave me the high reading. i'll try the test again tomorrow since it's been a week now and see if it's any better. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may want to consider taking back the yellow tang as well. A 30gal tank is way too tight for even the smallest of tangs. It can really lead to problems.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I kept a tang in a 38 gallon with two percs and a royal gramma. The tank seemed very territorial and killed my gramma. Didn't attack it directly but picked at it and had it very stressed out. It eventually died. It never bothered the percs though.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrate levels, level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com