Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water is good,Ive tested it in the past,what puzzles me is i have a 180gl predetor FOWLR tank across from from the 135gl tank i am using the same salt,same ro/di water,same everything and this tank has a higher load(triggers,10 in total averaging 6.5'')and its Parameters are 100%.What i am starting to believe that it may be is, the high amount of tangs i have in this tank......

Old 05-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

aaaaaaaaah....maybe I'm just being dumb but wouldn't a simple solution be to use a de-nitrate product?

Seachem. denitrate

Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey Why didn't i think of that!!!!!!!
Read my thread,i tried that........
Don't mean to sound nasty,
I do appreciate the feedbacks and i am willing to try anything to keep my existing fish.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What kind of flow do you have in the tank?

Do you have any sponges or other filter media anywhere on the system? Check in your sump for collected detritus. When I was battling high nitrates if turned out that I had a dead spot in my sump and was loaded with detritus. After correcting that issue my nitrates run around 10ish.

BTW to get the full benefit of dosing vodka you have to do it for a while. It doesn't happen overnight. I'm not a fan of adding sugar to the tank though it has proven benefits. As you found though it can mess with other parameters.

Do you have a TDS meter on your RO/DI unit? Have you tested your source water before the RO/DI and then tested the pure water to see if there are nitrates there?
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfish View Post
Hey Why didn't i think of that!!!!!!!
Read my thread,i tried that........
Don't mean to sound nasty,
I do appreciate the feedbacks and i am willing to try anything to keep my existing fish.

hehehe...sorry!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
Thanx but no.....

If you're going to use a denitrator then you need to do it right and not use the voo-doo products over the counter. A good denitrator will use sulfur and slowly reprocess the water through the packed sulfer several times until the anerobic bacteria can process the nitrate. When done properly you will see nitrate in and 0 nitrates out.

However, in the end you have nitrates for only a few reasons. 1) You are introducing them via food or your water supply. 2) Your cleaning habits (be that manual cleaning, cleaning thru macro algae (or lack there of) or your clean up crew are not doing their job 3) You have dead spots which relates back to #2.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1
Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only other thing I can see is that you have to many tangs. They are Algae eaters and therefore deficate alot. Try feeding every other day and see if that and PWC's can bring your NO3 down to at least 20ppm.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Controlling Nitrate

Greetings,

I did have problems of controlling nitrates until I started to use the sump/ref with caulepra and live sand. I did not employ this until my 4th tank (55 G, 80G, 120G and now 125G) and what a difference it makes. With LR, light fish load, controlled feeding, PWC (I do 20 G every two weeks) and sump/ref you should be able to get to 5. Of course a skimmer is a must too. DP

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com