Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah but iv dome a water change and it hasnt touched it

Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
is your test maxed out? use 2x's as much water as you should reg amount of drops see results, the double it.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

kurtyboh i am not sure what you mean mate.. can you explaine in dummy turms please
Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #24
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont know where you get your water to do your PWC`s but make a batch of SW and do your nitrate test on that batch of water. You might be adding nitrates in during your PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

i always test my new water. i get ready mixed salt water from the shop
Old 10-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513 View Post
yeah but iv dome a water change and it hasnt touched it
It is going to take more than one water change. For example, let's say your nitrates are at 160 ppm which I think is the max on the test. If you do a 50% water change, those nitrates will drop to 80. Then, a subsequent 50% change would drop it to 40, another 25% change would drop it to about 30 and so on. You can't just do one 20% change and expect the nitrates to disappear as your nitrogen cycle is still ongoing and your system is creating nitrates even as you are removing them.

The idea is that you need to get ahead of the cycle by removing more ntrates than are being produced. The absorbers I gave you earlier can help you get ahead of what is being produced but they aren't going to keep Nitrates from being produced. I had a nitrate problem as well. I do water changes weekly yet my Nitrates were always hgher than I wanted. I added the absorbers after getting the nitrates down to the normal level and they help keep the "high" a little lower so my water change is more effective.

You indicated earlier, I believe, that you tested your replcement water for nitrates and the reading was 0, so the only place you have nitrates is within the tank. As several have indicated, the only way to get the nitrates down is through multiple water changes in a short period of time then do water changes more often to keep the nitrates down. If you are doing 20% weekly, try 15% twice a week.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

if your test is maxed out, and requires 5ml of water with 10 drops, using 10ml of water with 10 drops will essentially double the load of the test to 320, but you're going off of your original scale so whatever color your test corresponds to double that number and it will show what is actually in your tank. it would also work to use half of the drops, but certain tests require five drops and you can't go that route.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

in the last week i have emptied the tank and filled it again with new water. not all at once i did it 25liters at a time. so over the last week all the water in my tank has been replaces yet still tey are high its like the wc isnt doing anything. iam out of ideas and iam ready to give it up. and the werid thing is that things seem to be doing ok in there with the high levels. i have corals and fish and they are ok. so iam thinking that maybe the test is inacurate. but then when i tested the new water it came up 0.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513 View Post
kurtyboh i am not sure what you mean mate.. can you explaine in dummy turms please
The normal test is about 5ml of water...the amount of water that goes to the little line on the tube. What kurty is saying is to double the amount of water. Use a second tube to get an additional 5ml. Use the normal number of drops the test requires in ONE tube, then, dilute that with the other 5ml...you may have to use a measuring cup or similar since 10 ml won't fit in one tube. Get your result and then double it to get a more accurate reading.

While your reading with a straight 5ml may look like it is maxed out on the chart, it could be your true readng is just a little over and not as high as you think.

As an aside, when you are filling the tube, the water isn't actually level..the line is concave with the sides being higher than the "bowl." You want the base of the "bowl" to be level with the line and not below it. If you have been using less water the test results aren't going to be accurate.

I made a quick drawing of what I mean.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Test Tube.doc (30.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand it frustrating, esp since you're putting a lot of effort into it. is it possible for you to do a 50% water change then 2 days later do it again?

As you remove nitrates from the tank, your cycle is continuing to add them back in. although it should be slower than teh rate at which youve been taking them out, its possible that they were beyond the test and so you thought they were 160, but in reality were over 400, even doing a 50% pwc at that point your test is still going to show 160 as it cannot go higher.

btw how much are you feeding? as food decomposes it adds to your cycle, so try to clean your substrate as best you can as you're doing the pwc.

stick with it it'll be worth it in the end.

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com