Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

The fact that you have done water changes and the reading hasn't lowered tells me it probably isn't the tank...it just can't happen that nearly a 100% change in water in a short period of time doesn't bring the level down to much lower levels...it is the simple idea of dilution.

You said you got the kit at the same time as the tank. I would still take a tube to the LFS and have them test it..see what they come up with.

You had indicated a couple of posts back that the inhabitants seem to be OK..is that still the case? Nitrates that high for this long would have done a lot of damage.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try taking a water sample to the lfs and see if it matches yours. Your kit may be a little old and isnt giving accurate readings. Make sure you get the liquid test from them and ask to see it if they already let you.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

but when i test the new water i get from the shop it is reading ok. when i get water from the shop should the nitrate be at 0 as i tested some today and it was mabey at 5
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm talking about taking water FROM your tank and asking them to test it for you. It will show if it's just your kit or not
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I may be picky but shouldn't the premixed water from your shop be 0 on trates? You should prob take a step back and slowly analyze the problem. I just can't see that you could have trates at 160+ and not see any ill effects on the fish...they should be dropping off like crazy. (Don't mean that in a negative way) im not doubting your testing abilities by any means but are you sure you have the right bottles as well? I know its easy to mix up and not notice, I've done it lol.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I use Red Sea NO3PO4X. It takes a few weeks to kick in but this works. It reduces nitrates and phosphates. Scope the net about it
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

its ok huma huma but i test the shop water and its not at 0 so i know and when i test my water is shoots up to 160+ so i know the test isnt faulty. i have a mandarin strawbery baslet sulphur goby and valentini puffer a cleaner shrimp a sand sifting star and some hermits also i have a leather toadstool and some xenia and they are all fine no sign at all of stress. apart from xenia that has closed right up for the last few dats now. i was thinking that maybe they were so high. my nitrates i mean was because for a while i dint do any water changes as i was doing test wrong and it indicated all my levels were fine so when i did it right they were so massive that even with all the changes iv done it still isnt anywhere near the scale of the test. but surley with nitrates that high my tank life would have been killed right...also is there anyone out there that knows what could be causing the high nitrates.. any help will do as iam all out
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Do you happen to use crushed coral?

Otherwise its overfeeding that leads to excessive trates...

Did you ever double the water for the test and see what happened
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

still i dont see how its possible to be that far over 160 and not see sheer massive aounts of death in the tank... 80 can cause stress. im gonna have to go with repeatitive pwc's until it comes down, only way to clear it out really (short of chems that is)
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
How old is your tank? I've read that thins have died because of the nitrates (possibly). Did you cycle the tank? Also- did you cycle the live rock if it came dry? Also- you said you changed to live sand from crushed coral- did you rinse the sand? Are you stirring up the sand when you do water changes?

The only way to get rid of trates is with water changes. With such a small tank why don't you try doing a 1-2 gallon water change a day?

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com