Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure if this may have been covered and I missed it but here goes. I read a post a while back where someone had similar problems. They called API and the tech told her that if AT ANY TIME she neglected to shake bottle 2 for the 30 seconds it was now worthless. If you used it at some point with out shaking it, the mix ratio in that bottle is no longer accurate and will give you bad readings. If I were you, I would invest in a new Nitrate test kit. May even go to a different brand and see what the results show.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
yeah saliferts have amazing reviews, People love them. my fav has been jbl but impossible to find outside of europe even for shipping its weird.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

The puffer is especially sensitive to bad water parameters so I would say your nitrates are not as high as the test is indicating. Just for peace of mind and to eliminate the possibility, I would still take a tube of your tank water over to your LFS and have them test it.

Another test...take some of the tank water and place it in a bucket. Test. Now dilute it with either distilled or plain RO water and test again. We don't care about the salinity as you aren't going to add this water back to the tank.

When I say dilute, take about a 1/2 gallon or so of tankwater, place it in a 5-gallon bucket and test; then, dilute it with about 2-3 gallons of distilled water or pure RO water (no salt)..you want a very definitive dilution. Mix it in well and test again. If you use a half gallon of water at say 160 (Nitrates) and dilute it with 3 gallons of pure water, that is equivalent to, if my math is correct, an 85% water change and your nitrate reading should then be around 40.

This is what I am looking at...using the pure water (either distilled or RO) will answer the question if there are nitrates in your replacement water. It will also allow you to determine if dilution is actually working.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

well iv taken some to the shop today and he says its fine so after all the worry and money i spent on salt and water not to mention the mess i made. all for nothing lol. but thank you every one ever so much for your help..rdnelson99 iam not argueing at all but i cant see how not shaking the bottle will ruin the test for ever as long as i shake it now
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513
well iv taken some to the shop today and he says its fine so after all the worry and money i spent on salt and water not to mention the mess i made. all for nothing lol. but thank you every one ever so much for your help..rdnelson99 iam not argueing at all but i cant see how not shaking the bottle will ruin the test for ever as long as i shake it now
Take a bottle and add oil and vinegar to it. If you shake it every time you use it- you will always have an equal amount of oil and vinegar left. Now say three or four times you don't shake the bottle. You will the have less vinegar than oil because the vinegar remains at the top (and comes out first!) of the bottle when not shaken and the oil at the bottom. Now say once again you start to shake the bottle- you have less amount of vinegar than you do oil. Therefore you no longer have the 50% mixture. Now it maybe a 35-40% to 60% mixture. The taste wouldn't be the same. Just like oil an vinegar- the tests have a "recipe" that is used for accurate tests. Once that recipe is not accurate, the taste (or test in this example) wouldn't be the same- and thus less accurate
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina View Post
Take a bottle and add oil and vinegar to it. If you shake it every time you use it- you will always have an equal amount of oil and vinegar left. Now say three or four times you don't shake the bottle. You will the have less vinegar than oil because the vinegar remains at the top (and comes out first!) of the bottle when not shaken and the oil at the bottom. Now say once again you start to shake the bottle- you have less amount of vinegar than you do oil. Therefore you no longer have the 50% mixture. Now it maybe a 35-40% to 60% mixture. The taste wouldn't be the same. Just like oil an vinegar- the tests have a "recipe" that is used for accurate tests. Once that recipe is not accurate, the taste (or test in this example) wouldn't be the same- and thus less accurate
very well said, and easily understandable!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh

very well said, and easily understandable!!!
Lol. Thanks. Was the easiest way I could think of to explain it
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jlsardina thanks that genius. very well put
Old 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513
Jlsardina thanks that genius. very well put
Not a problem. Glad it made sense
Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Surest way to make a man understand something. Put in terms of food. LOL Or.....well better not go there.

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com