Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

High nitrates in biocube, bioballs or DIY filter?

I have an 8g biocube with about 12lbs live rock, and 1in sand. I have some zoos, a button polyp frag, and a purple mushroom. I have an ocellaris clownfish. Everything is coming out, glowing and looking healthy... I really should have more rock (planning on it next LFS trip) plus an LED strip. Anyways, my water is just about perfect, excepptt for my nitrates..theyre sky high. The filter is made of bioballs and I was wondering if I should even have them in my tank. (Yeah a little late huh?) I do 15% water changes every Saturday. I target feed everything every 2-3 days. What can I do to get my nitrates down?? Ive read everything from more water changes to DIY filter to removing my bioballs. Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do that maybe worked for them?

pH 8.0 (need some buffer on saturday)
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
nitrates 40ppm or higher

BTW can you tell im a newbie??

Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wait I mean I have an LED strip.. I took off the top hood and replaced it with plexiglass and added plenty of blue and white LEDs

Tags
bio, biocube, button polyps, cube, diy, filter, filter advice, high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates, parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com