High Nitrite Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iskander4602

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Purchased a 35 gallon tank set up in feb, with powerhead, filter, sand substrate, and live plants. I cycled the tank using bottled bacteria, and then added about 4 mollies (3 black, 1 dalmation) who have been happily swimming around and having babies for the past month or so.

My tests for the last 2 weeks have all fallen under the current ranges:
PH-7.8-8.2
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite-5ppm
Nitrate-0ppm
Salinity-1.024-1.026
Temp- 82 Degrees

I can't seem to get the Nitrite down. Water seems relatively clear. I have been doing 20% changes every 3rd or 4th day, and a 40% change every sunday. I have also been adding 2 tsps of table salt (although... it does seem somewhat redundant seeing as how this is a saltwater environment) as per other recommendations regarding high nitrite.

Anyone have any suggestions or seen this before? It doesn't seem to be affecting the 4 adults or 19 babies at all, and they are not exhibiting any signs of stress, but this is somewhat holding off my plans to restock the aquarium with a different breed of fish. Thanks in advance.

STOP ADDING SALT!

If you have saltwater fish, then only do partial water changes mixed to the same sg as the tank. Mix the salt a day before doing the pwc as salt mix is corrosive.

Take a sample to a friend or an lfs for testing with another kit. Your nitrite kit may be expired or contamninated.

I already checked the kit. it reads fine with other tanks. the partial changes are nt doing anything significant.

Back
Top Bottom