high nitrite. What gives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirLight1337

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently setup a 40 gallon QT tank. I pulled a decent ammount of filter media from my 150 gallon 4 month old tank and added some bioballs as well. ive been feeding the empty qt tank some flake food everyday but the nitrite just sits at about 20ppm. is it waterchange time for me till it comes down ? or just throw in a cocktail ship and let it rot away ? Im sure this question has been asked and answered quite a few times, but again the search function on this site is less then fantastic.

TIA
SL

I would cycle it with the shrimp just to be sure you have a 'good' cycle. Of course you will have to stock it later to keep the bacteria fed...

it takes a long time for denitrifying bacteria to grow on brand new bioballs. It took almost 2 months for my eel tank to cycle due to this fact. Toss a shrimp in there and let the cycle complete.

1 more quick little question. If an emergency happens ( such as needing to QT my fish before they all die from ich ) how is it possible ? They are progressivly getting worse everyday i wait for QT tank. Am i just doomed to lose some fish due to lagging natural cycles ? i know i should have put the last addition to the tank in QT before it went in the main tank, i know im a retard. I just dont want the fish to suffer and watch this parasite spread.

1 medium sized powder blue, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue tang, 2 true clowns, and a raspberry doddyback.

Your probably going to have issues trying to QT all those fish in a small tank.... your going to be doing wc every few days.
Thats also a lot of fish to have in a 4 month old tank...
as your finding out nothing good happens fast in this hobby.... Only bad things happen fast.

they are going to be QT in a 40 gallon tank. How this is not large enough ?

The only mistake i made was not QTing my powderblue to begin with. How is this alot of fish for a 150 gallon tank ?

my question doesnt pertain to my main display tank in any way. It has to do with the 40g QT tank for my fish that now have ich. The maturity of my tank is not in question. Why is everyone dodging my question ? What does how fast i stocked my 150 gallon aquarium have to do with high nitrites in a 40 gallon QT tank ? absoultly nothing. Thank you for nothing.

ive got a question....why dont you just treat the whole tank if that where to happen before you get the qt tank set up right......if your worried about the other fish having it......im new at this too..thought it might help me in the future....and ive had the same problem with people not giving me advice with what i was looking for instead getting mad at me for other stuff........ :p

Why is everyone dodging my question ? What does how fast i stocked my 150 gallon aquarium have to do with high nitrites in a 40 gallon QT tank ? absoultly nothing. Thank you for nothing.

Didja ever think that folks are seriously trying to help you and may have misinterpreted a post or two - like that our QT is now empty awaiting lowere nitrates? Therefore not dodging your question? Just maybe.

In my opinion, you should either try to be a little more understanding or use another forum where folks usually insult each other more freely.

How fast you stocked your display tank has to do with why your fish have ICH IMO.
No one is dodging the question, the tank is not cycled and will not be any time soon, so if you plan on putting those fish in there now you will have to do many water changes to keep things in check. Not sure what answer your looking for.
And adding that many fish to a 40 and housing them for 30++ days will be tricky to keep them all alive and healthy.
Seeing you have that attitude, tells me you know you rushed things...
All were trying to do is help and point out what might have went wrong so you and others don't repeat it.
So in case you missed it... The 40 is not cycled, there is no quick way to fix the problem because every cycle is different. So if your looking to get the fish out of the 150 fast your going to have to do many water changes.. Unless you wnat to buy some cured LR that may help speed things up.. But the LR will not be any good after if you use copper to treat the sick fish.

To answer someones earlier question; i cannot treat the main tank as it has alot of inverts and coral in it as well, copper or hyposalinity would kill them.

The nitrites dropped enough for me to be comfortable putting my fish in it. It was either do it last night or watch them die. i put them in the QT treated with cupramine. Already looking better. The main tank got ich because i didnt QT the powder blue. I had started this thread with that fact, and had admit that i should have QT the fish. That should be the end of the stocking thing. ive learned my lesson. Dont put any fish in a main tank unless in QT for atleast 3 weeks.

How did i insult anyone ? I mearly had a disagreement with the answers i was given. No harm done. If you got you feelers hurt over an internet forum, im sorry.

ive learned my lesson. Dont put any fish in a main tank unless in QT for atleast 3 weeks.

Kudos!

I mearly had a disagreement with the answers i was given.

I seem to remember an accusation of dodging your question. And a "thanks for nothing" response. Yes, this is only an internet forum, but if you check around the site a bit, you'll find that folks are a lot more polite - even when someone misunderstands a question and answers incorrectly.

Still, kudos for learning the QT lesson and advising others to heed also.

Good luck.

ok gotcha...........didnt now you had all that other stuff...even thow i thought there was medications that you could us with inverts ...but im not sure about coral....got it know thank you ill keep that in mind for future reference...and im glad to hear there doing better...best of luck to you :D

Back
Top Bottom