High Phosphate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm getting my live rock tomorrow from lr.com.

I tested for phosphate tonight, just for giggles - and it was high. My test kit jumps from 1.0 to 2.0 but it was somewhere in between. I'd say best guess would be 1.3-1.4.

I'm using tap water to cycle my tank, but I do have a ro/di for future water changes. I was advised by a reputable lfs that the water in the area is satisfactory and that most people 'round these parts use tap to cycle their tanks.

I'm doing a fowlr set-up but is this high phosphate going to wipe out any inverts that I happen to get with my live rock? Is there anything other than algae that I should be aware of with high phosphate? I'm assuming as I do water changes it will lower.

thanks all.

- Skins

phosphates in my tank are off the charts and allow the alage i dont want to grow and hamper my coraline alage. however i have all kind of inverts crabs, snails, shirmp, star, and leather toadstools since i started my tank last august. never had anything die due to phosphates. So as to this affecting inverts personal never had any problems and never heard of this hurting any thing but slowing coraline alage and i heard that some corals dont nessarly like high phosphate.

That's a good point about coraline algae. Will the phosphate actually kill the coraline algae on the live rock that I"m getting from lr.com? Or just slow the spread of it?

Thanks for the quick response. Guess I should have used ro/di water to cycle.

- Skins

it should only slow it. because i had a little phosphate problem (hair algae and "green water") and today i scrubbed off one of the larger rocks and behold! there was still some corraline on it, acutally even more than when i last saw it (before it disappeared under the murk), but things have turned around, i added phos-x and toned down on my lighting hours.

Hey SkinnyPete,

looks like you and me are on the same scheduale, i get my LR in tommorow as well. I also used tap water as advised by a LFS, they said that my town has good water and since i am doing FOWLR and not coral its not as important, more of a luxury. I will be doing future water changes with RO water. Do you guys think i should be testing for phosphates?

PO4 will add a lot of unwanted algae and slow the coraline algae to a crawl but not affect inverts that I know of. It will however harm corals from everything I have read on it. Corals do not tolerate po4 very good. If you contiue to have high po4 you will see your tank ran over with algae and eventually cyno will break out. Try and correct the problem asap or you will have a long fight on your hands.

Got to love these LFS that keep giving out bad advice... You should always check your water before using it for a SW setup.

If i do a big water change (around 50%) after cycle is complete, will this help correct the problem. Yeah, i see what you are saying, i researched on the forum and seen that a bunch of people said it would be OK to use tap for initial setup, and when my LFS said it would be ok (and they speacialize in saltwater) i figured it would be ok. Thanks for your advice, i def. dont want a long time struggle on my hands.

some people are lucky and can use their tap water with no issues.... Others have a problem if a few gallons of tap water are used. Thats why using a blanket statement that everyone can use tap water for the cycle IMO is just bad advice.
Her you are starting up a new hobby, spending lots of money and you use tap water...... After the cycle all looks well..... Then you see some algae then more then more, now your spending money on all kinds of stuff to try and get the algae under control.. your getting frustrated and now want to take the tank down...
Its so much easier and less expensive to do things right from the start..
Ok i'll get off the soap box now....
hope all goes well..... 50% WC IMO is a good idea before you add any live stock...

Thanks Seaham, thats all i was looking for is your honest opinion. i will do a 50% water change after my cycle and before i add my livestock. Thanks Again.

Back
Top Bottom