Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
High PO4 from dead(live rock)

Tank is on 2nd day off cycle so i thought i would test the water with ammonia and po4 just to see what is happening before and after.
My po4 was very high im guessing this is because i have put in dead (live rock) and didn't acid bath etc or cure separate as i was told to just put it in with the tank when cycling.
I tested with api and sera kit then i tested some fresh made up saltwater so it is def from the tank/rock/sand!!
I have removed the rock and out it in 65l bucket with a powerhead but no heater as its in the tank.
Should i just cycling in the bucket and do water changes or vinegar wash the rock.
I did wash the rock with ro water before putting in the tank!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439447521.445871.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	276502

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

chris669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
If it is from the rock, you should cure it until your phosphate levels are gone...but that said the API test kit is highly inaccurate. As for Sera, I've never heard of it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com