High TDS in new RO system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schinkowski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I just joined to forum to ask this question.

I got a reverse osmosis system capable of producing 150 US Gallons of water a day. I connected it and left it running for over 2 hours, but the output TDS were still quite high. I measure the TDS in-line, input is 60 and output was 50. My pressure was only around 20psi, so I got a booster pump. With this my pressure is close to 40psi but my output TDS is still only 35.
It's a D-D booster pump and I can't see a way to increase the output pressure on it.
Would a lower grade membrane work better with my low water pressure and produce higher quality water?
It's a 3 stage RO system with a 5 micron pre-filter, a 10 micron block carbon filter and the membrane.

Thanks!

With pressure that low, I don't think these specs are out of line with what you should expect. Without getting pressure up to 60psi or so, especially on a 150gpd system, I would expect a TDS of 15-30 or so ppm.

Thanks for your reply.
So would I get 0 tds if i switch to a 50 Gallon/day membrane?

no, you wouldn't. You aren't going to get 0 TDS out of an RO system. It would require the addition of a deionization (DI) stage.

Yeah, I mean closer to 0, I also have DI resin but didn't connect it yet because I want to figure out how to get below 10 or so from my membrane.

Increasing the pressure to the membrane would help some, I am sure. Adding an additional carbon block to the system would also help.

I don't think I can increase the pressure any more, I'm already using a booster pump.
I'll look into getting a second carbon block.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom