High temperature in summer time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

In my living room where the tank is at, I keep the room at 75 degree in the summer time. At night I turn off all the lights but when I wake up, the temperature reads 80 and then 83 in the day after the lights go back on. While at work I open up all the hood, panels to get air but the temp is still hovering around 80's. The fish seem not to mind but I am concerned about the high temp. I don't think 77 degree is achievable unless a chiller is installed or get the room temp to 68 degree (imagine the gas bill). Any need for concerns? DP

Try a small fan blowing across the top of the tank, or across the surface of your sump. You can easily drop the water temperature by 2-3 degrees just with the fan, regardless of room temperature.

I would also recommend a small fan blowing on the tank

Hello,

I placed a fan to blow right straight at the sump and the temperature got up to 78.5 degrees and no higher. Thank you for the excellent tip! DP

just fyi 80 degrees is not a bad temperature for a tank 78-82 Just some info for you to think about before paying extra money to keep a fan blowing

just fyi 80 degrees is not a bad temperature for a tank 78-82 Just some info for you to think about before paying extra money to keep a fan blowing

The temp gets up to 83 in the day though and that's why I am concerned. DP

i agree that its not June or July yet so it is getting warmer I was just stating 80 degrees is not a bad temp to have. Also tropical fish can withstand temps up 87 degrees for couple of days. Ick treatmentusing heat is raising temps in the tank to 87 degrees for a week . higher temps kill the ick. so if you are concerned about the fish getting harmed in 83 I do not believe it effects them as much as you think. However as far as comfortablilty for the fish temps between 78-82 are good. Just didnt want you to be worried about the tank getting to 83 the fish will be fine.

flip0204... please read what part of the forum you're in before posting advice. For the second time... this is saltwater - high temp isn't a cure for ich. Fish might be able to cope with higher temps in the short term, but corals won't. 87 for a couple days in a reef tank will do some major damage to corals.

Hi all,

I think high temperature makes ich undergoes cycle faster exposing them to the medication when they are in swimming stage. But I don't think that will kill the ich though unless you raise to 95 degrees that probably will kill the ich and everything else. I am able to keep the temp to 78 by placing a fan directly at the sump and open the hood up while I am at work. DP

Back
Top Bottom