Hillage's First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weekly water changes have kept trates under 10. Also I have about 70 lbs of live rock and a 3" deep sand bed.

Weekly water changes? Cool. I'll probably start fishless cycling without a skimmer, since I'll be buying other items first. =)

Yeah for your cycle you should be fine but I don't know much but would suggest getting a skimmer down the road once bioload increases.

While I'm talking about skimmers, what skimmers to people recommend? This is for a planned 120g + 55g sump.

Also, to recap above posts, I'd love opinions on the lighting special my LFS has, plus the skimmer-less startup...

So, while looking for a DT, I've been planning. I have a question which I guess hasn't been answered yet. As I posted in my original post, I would like to know what your opinions are regarding overflows. I've been planning on going with a BeanAnimal overflow, but I was wondering if I can achieve the same thing with a hob overflow...

Also, what size/type PVC should I be looking at? Assuming I go with the BeanAnimal, I'll have 3 pipes down to sump, plus 1 pipe return... Should I split the return pipe to have different spots for flow to come in? Also, what gph should I be aiming for, so I can look at pumps?

Now that I think about it, I need another ph or 2, and maybe another heater... And soon I'll be running a sump design by you guys. :)

Since I have both a hang on overflow and drilled tanks I can say without a doubt that drilling is the way to go. :-D I don't believe the difference in the two tanks. The drilled is so much quieter and it just seems more organized. Plus theres always the chance that a hang on one can overflow, clog or otherwise screw up your tank. lol I havent' had any issues with mine for a year that its been running but it seems like it's possible.

I don't get why you'd have 3 pipes going to the sump...if it's dual drilled there would be two......I would think you'd want 4 holes drilled, 2 for input and 2 for output. :)

Alright, drill it is :)

The BeanAnimal overflow is designed as a fail-safe and silent overflow. It uses 3 pipes to use different methods of getting water to the sump, so it remains silent, but can still handle high gph, and the occasional emergency drain if something starts to fill up to fast. So, 3 pipes down. :)

What gph should I be looking for? Also, a few posts back I posted a special my lfs had on Craigslist. Can you tell me if it sounds ok?

i think with 2 or 3 inputs from the tank you will be looking at approximately 1800gph or so. It depends on the diameter of the holes, bigger hole, more flow. I have a 1 inch drilled input to my sump and it's supposed to be either 600gph or 800gph. I'm running a Mag 9.5 at about 950gph before head loss so they are pretty well matched i think. :)

Lemme go page up and see if I can find that link.

So, I was browsing craigslist, and I saw an ad from one of the LFS around me. Does this lighting setup sound ok?
"48" Quad (156watts) T5 Lighting Fixture w/ FREE Light Bulbs: $129.99 each"

I'm not sure what bulbs come with it, but would it work ok for my 48" tank I'm looking for, assuming the bulbs are ok? Does this price sound ok for this setup?

If this is what you meant it doesn't make sense to me. A 48" t5 bulb is 54 watts so it should be 216 total for 4 bulbs.

NOW a 36" inch fixture will have 4 X 39 watts for a total of 156 watts. If this is the case then thats not gonna do it for your tank.

carey said:
If this is what you meant it doesn't make sense to me. A 48" t5 bulb is 54 watts so it should be 216 total for 4 bulbs.

They updated this to 216w on their latest ad... So is this something I should look in to? I don't know what bulbs come with it...

Also, thanks for the pipe and gph info. My dad will be helping me drill this, as he has the tools for it :)

Also, if I go look at the lights, I'll be looking at any tanks they have there... And pricing... And I'm sure I'll want to buy half the things there...

I would look at the lights but I don't expect them to be super for that price. You can also get a 4 bulb fixture at fish need it;lights; food;Sponge . Although a 4 bulb setup wouldnt be optimum for a 120g, way too wide and too deep. the 120g was the last size tank i saw mentioned so forgive me if I didn't follow the thread properly lol

120g is planned, yes. If 4 bulbs isn't good, what should I be getting, 6 bulb fixture?

Note: 48x24x24 is dimensions, if you forgot. :)

Edit: At this point, would MH almost be better? :/ I'm not very educated in lighting yet...

All just depends on what you want to keep in the longterm. Metal halides have their place and are good lights on a whole. Each type of lighting is going to have it's pro's and con's. metal halides have intense heat adn they suck alot of juice. But they are great lights for corals, in fact 2 x 250 watt's would most likely be able to penetrate the depth. T5's I think with a six bulb fixyure with individual reflectors and good bulbs can also give you great results. And then there's led's. I have to say i don't know much about them specifically but I just bought this light

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

for a 24" X 24" X 24" tank I am putting together. From what I can tell it will cover the 2 feet just perfect. :)

Soo many options i suggest you do some research and find the one that will match up with your expectations of price and that can keep the types of critters that you want.

I think that might work, but you'd have no real actinics. So no dawn to dusk lighting schedule. That was one thing I didn't like about the halide fixtures i have, no blue bulbs. :) But there are halides that have some blue bulbs either pc bulbs or t5's. Have you checked craigslist? I got my $800 at the time light for $300 bucks. Just gotta be patient and know what you are looking for.

If you were thinking of getting the pendant then it'd just be better for you if you had gotten the LED fixture Carey posted earlier. 2 of of those would be plenty for your tank.

Ok, so 2 of the led setups Carey posted, or a 6 bulb fixture? If the LEDs will be enough, I'll probably grab 2 of those.

Edit: The only thing I wouldn't like about those LEDs is that I'd love some actinics for my viewing pleasure... With these LEDs, I can't do that... I'll have to go look at that DIY page, and see if I can plan anything.

I have some bad news... I believe my saltwater dream will not come true until after college. I'd love to set up a salt tank, and carry it on with me to college in 2 years, but at this point it doesn't seem possible. Plus, while I'm still at home, my mom doesn't really like the whole aquarium idea, especially saltwater...

The good news is, I may get hold of a free 55g tank, an may just set up a nice freshwater tank for a few years until income is more stable to afford a salt tank... So I'll probably be posting around the freshwater section soon :)

Back
Top Bottom