Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriksFish315 View Post
Weekly water changes have kept trates under 10. Also I have about 70 lbs of live rock and a 3" deep sand bed.
Weekly water changes? Cool. I'll probably start fishless cycling without a skimmer, since I'll be buying other items first. =)

Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah for your cycle you should be fine but I don't know much but would suggest getting a skimmer down the road once bioload increases.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tis is my first saltwater build as well started with a 55g thought it would make a good beginning.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

While I'm talking about skimmers, what skimmers to people recommend? This is for a planned 120g + 55g sump.

Also, to recap above posts, I'd love opinions on the lighting special my LFS has, plus the skimmer-less startup...
Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can't go wrong with a reef octopus. Also hearing good things about the Bubble Magus.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, while looking for a DT, I've been planning. I have a question which I guess hasn't been answered yet. As I posted in my original post, I would like to know what your opinions are regarding overflows. I've been planning on going with a BeanAnimal overflow, but I was wondering if I can achieve the same thing with a hob overflow...

Also, what size/type PVC should I be looking at? Assuming I go with the BeanAnimal, I'll have 3 pipes down to sump, plus 1 pipe return... Should I split the return pipe to have different spots for flow to come in? Also, what gph should I be aiming for, so I can look at pumps?

Now that I think about it, I need another ph or 2, and maybe another heater... And soon I'll be running a sump design by you guys.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since I have both a hang on overflow and drilled tanks I can say without a doubt that drilling is the way to go. I don't believe the difference in the two tanks. The drilled is so much quieter and it just seems more organized. Plus theres always the chance that a hang on one can overflow, clog or otherwise screw up your tank. lol I havent' had any issues with mine for a year that its been running but it seems like it's possible.

I don't get why you'd have 3 pipes going to the sump...if it's dual drilled there would be two......I would think you'd want 4 holes drilled, 2 for input and 2 for output.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright, drill it is

The BeanAnimal overflow is designed as a fail-safe and silent overflow. It uses 3 pipes to use different methods of getting water to the sump, so it remains silent, but can still handle high gph, and the occasional emergency drain if something starts to fill up to fast. So, 3 pipes down.

What gph should I be looking for? Also, a few posts back I posted a special my lfs had on Craigslist. Can you tell me if it sounds ok?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i think with 2 or 3 inputs from the tank you will be looking at approximately 1800gph or so. It depends on the diameter of the holes, bigger hole, more flow. I have a 1 inch drilled input to my sump and it's supposed to be either 600gph or 800gph. I'm running a Mag 9.5 at about 950gph before head loss so they are pretty well matched i think.

Lemme go page up and see if I can find that link.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillage View Post
So, I was browsing craigslist, and I saw an ad from one of the LFS around me. Does this lighting setup sound ok?
"48" Quad (156watts) T5 Lighting Fixture w/ FREE Light Bulbs: $129.99 each"

I'm not sure what bulbs come with it, but would it work ok for my 48" tank I'm looking for, assuming the bulbs are ok? Does this price sound ok for this setup?

If this is what you meant it doesn't make sense to me. A 48" t5 bulb is 54 watts so it should be 216 total for 4 bulbs.

NOW a 36" inch fixture will have 4 X 39 watts for a total of 156 watts. If this is the case then thats not gonna do it for your tank.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com