Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

If this is what you meant it doesn't make sense to me. A 48" t5 bulb is 54 watts so it should be 216 total for 4 bulbs.
They updated this to 216w on their latest ad... So is this something I should look in to? I don't know what bulbs come with it...

Also, thanks for the pipe and gph info. My dad will be helping me drill this, as he has the tools for it

Also, if I go look at the lights, I'll be looking at any tanks they have there... And pricing... And I'm sure I'll want to buy half the things there...

Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would look at the lights but I don't expect them to be super for that price. You can also get a 4 bulb fixture at fish need it;lights; food;Sponge . Although a 4 bulb setup wouldnt be optimum for a 120g, way too wide and too deep. the 120g was the last size tank i saw mentioned so forgive me if I didn't follow the thread properly lol

Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

120g is planned, yes. If 4 bulbs isn't good, what should I be getting, 6 bulb fixture?

Note: 48x24x24 is dimensions, if you forgot.

Edit: At this point, would MH almost be better? :/ I'm not very educated in lighting yet...
Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All just depends on what you want to keep in the longterm. Metal halides have their place and are good lights on a whole. Each type of lighting is going to have it's pro's and con's. metal halides have intense heat adn they suck alot of juice. But they are great lights for corals, in fact 2 x 250 watt's would most likely be able to penetrate the depth. T5's I think with a six bulb fixyure with individual reflectors and good bulbs can also give you great results. And then there's led's. I have to say i don't know much about them specifically but I just bought this light

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

for a 24" X 24" X 24" tank I am putting together. From what I can tell it will cover the 2 feet just perfect.

Soo many options i suggest you do some research and find the one that will match up with your expectations of price and that can keep the types of critters that you want.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awesome, thanks so much carey. I'll keep doing some more research then.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, what do you think about http://www.fishneedit.com/250w-metal...ndant-lig.html with a 20k bulb? Two of those fixtures should work, right?.... Would I need anything else if I got these?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think that might work, but you'd have no real actinics. So no dawn to dusk lighting schedule. That was one thing I didn't like about the halide fixtures i have, no blue bulbs. But there are halides that have some blue bulbs either pc bulbs or t5's. Have you checked craigslist? I got my $800 at the time light for $300 bucks. Just gotta be patient and know what you are looking for.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you were thinking of getting the pendant then it'd just be better for you if you had gotten the LED fixture Carey posted earlier. 2 of of those would be plenty for your tank.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so 2 of the led setups Carey posted, or a 6 bulb fixture? If the LEDs will be enough, I'll probably grab 2 of those.

Edit: The only thing I wouldn't like about those LEDs is that I'd love some actinics for my viewing pleasure... With these LEDs, I can't do that... I'll have to go look at that DIY page, and see if I can plan anything.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have some bad news... I believe my saltwater dream will not come true until after college. I'd love to set up a salt tank, and carry it on with me to college in 2 years, but at this point it doesn't seem possible. Plus, while I'm still at home, my mom doesn't really like the whole aquarium idea, especially saltwater...

The good news is, I may get hold of a free 55g tank, an may just set up a nice freshwater tank for a few years until income is more stable to afford a salt tank... So I'll probably be posting around the freshwater section soon

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com