Hirock Rubble Rock - What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctmedman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some rubble rock for my sump to replace the current bioball setup. I ordered it from www.hirocks.com and it is described as "Hawaiian dry-base rock" coming from a coral bed quarry. It is supposedly composed of calcium carbonate.

When the rock arrived I rinsed it in the tub and have it now sitting in a 5 gallon container filled with tank water from the last water change. The rock was initally quite dirty and full of loose particles.

My question is do I need to do anything else to the rock before putting it in the tank?

nope. a good rinse is all that's necessary. drop it in the sump next to your bio-balls and let them sit there for a while... i'd leave them in for a week. Then remove half your bio-balls. Wait a few more days, then remove half of the remaining bio balls. A couple more days and then remove the last of the bio-balls. You don't want to remove them all at once. You need to give the rubble a chance to build up the right bacteria or you'll get hit with an ammonia spike and possibly another cycle.

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom