Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

"Hirocks" and Base Rock use.

I am about to set up a new tank and I am interested using 30 to 50% "dead" rock seeded with good Live rock. The web site www.Hirocks.com sells dead quarried rock from ancient coral reefs found on Hawaii. I have read several places that within a year the dead rock will be full of life. Is the dead rock too dense to be useful?? Any input is appreciated. R

Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Seeding base rock with live rock is fairly common and will work just fine. it's a great way to save some money on one of the most expensive parts of starting up a new SW tank. I've never used Hirocks.com rocks myself, but I believe I have heard of a few folks here that have and were happy with the rocks.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have the hirocks in my tank. the only complaint i have is that the pieces were huge (may be my fault for not specifying ). other than that they are good.

you may want to request smaller pieces if you do not have a large tank. i dont know if they will be able to do it, but it couldnt hurt to ask.

~mike
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the replies.
I am thinking of using a DSB and I want it to be stable so I was planning on putting the rock on the tank bottom before I add the sand. If I do that I would lose ~5" of exposed rock due to the sand bed. At $5-10/Lb that's why the Hirocks looks great. The other option I have used is to build a support that goes in the sand from 4"PVC that is a little shorter that the sand bed--so it doesn't show. What do you think? Would the rock or PVC extending down through the DBS make it not function in that area as it might provide a route for oxygen into the DSB? Thanks. R
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

dont put the rock on the bottom of the tank. go to the hardware store and buy pvc pipe couplings. i think i used 2 or 3 inch pipe couplings. set those on the tank bottom so they are like little cups, and then fill the sand around them and in them. you can set your rocks on them when you do your aqauscaping.

use enough pvc to support the rock's entire footprint area. i think i bought a dozen of them and didnt use them all for my 55. also, if you dont like where you put them, you can always move them, even after the sand is down.

effectively, you will be setting your rocks near the surface of the sand, but you wont have to worry about them sinking.

~mike
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
Old 09-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

You guys must have read my mind! I came here this afternoon to ask pretty much the same question, i.e. about putting some type of support under my rock so that any sand sifting creatures would be safe as well. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion of using pvc couplings, I have some extras (where my husband mis-measured, lol) and they will work perfectly
2½g FW - son's goldfish
110g SW
Macmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmommy
Thanks for the wonderful suggestion of using pvc couplings

thanks
~mike
Old 09-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
what happens if you do set the LR on the DSB, will it damage the glass on the aquarium or will you just lose some LR that sinks into the DSB.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well if the DSB is 5" deep and you sit the rock on the glass bottom you will lose 5" of rock hight to the sand. On the other hand if you set the rock on top of the sand and you are cleaning the sand or some turbocharged sand sifting creature moves too much sand the rocks may tumble. I would use the PVC or put the rock on the glass. R
Old 09-28-2005, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sat all my rock on the bottom of the tank. I now have over 1/2 ton of rock in my tank and do not feel comfortable setting it on PVC. Hirocks.com has good rock. make sure you get the "best" rock it is porous. The "plain rock is ........well plain. they also have auctions on ebay right now. you can get 60 lbs of "best" rock shipped to your door for less than $87.

Tags
base, base rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com