"Hirocks" and Base Rock use.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about to set up a new tank and I am interested using 30 to 50% "dead" rock seeded with good Live rock. The web site www.Hirocks.com sells dead quarried rock from ancient coral reefs found on Hawaii. I have read several places that within a year the dead rock will be full of life. Is the dead rock too dense to be useful?? Any input is appreciated. R

Seeding base rock with live rock is fairly common and will work just fine. it's a great way to save some money on one of the most expensive parts of starting up a new SW tank. I've never used Hirocks.com rocks myself, but I believe I have heard of a few folks here that have and were happy with the rocks.

i have the hirocks in my tank. the only complaint i have is that the pieces were huge (may be my fault for not specifying :oops: ). other than that they are good.

you may want to request smaller pieces if you do not have a large tank. i dont know if they will be able to do it, but it couldnt hurt to ask.

~mike

Thanks for the replies.
I am thinking of using a DSB and I want it to be stable so I was planning on putting the rock on the tank bottom before I add the sand. If I do that I would lose ~5" of exposed rock due to the sand bed. At $5-10/Lb that's why the Hirocks looks great. The other option I have used is to build a support that goes in the sand from 4"PVC that is a little shorter that the sand bed--so it doesn't show. What do you think? Would the rock or PVC extending down through the DBS make it not function in that area as it might provide a route for oxygen into the DSB? Thanks. R

dont put the rock on the bottom of the tank. go to the hardware store and buy pvc pipe couplings. i think i used 2 or 3 inch pipe couplings. set those on the tank bottom so they are like little cups, and then fill the sand around them and in them. you can set your rocks on them when you do your aqauscaping.

use enough pvc to support the rock's entire footprint area. i think i bought a dozen of them and didnt use them all for my 55. also, if you dont like where you put them, you can always move them, even after the sand is down.

effectively, you will be setting your rocks near the surface of the sand, but you wont have to worry about them sinking.

~mike

You guys must have read my mind! I came here this afternoon to ask pretty much the same question, i.e. about putting some type of support under my rock so that any sand sifting creatures would be safe as well. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion of using pvc couplings, I have some extras (where my husband mis-measured, lol) and they will work perfectly :D

what happens if you do set the LR on the DSB, will it damage the glass on the aquarium or will you just lose some LR that sinks into the DSB.

Well if the DSB is 5" deep and you sit the rock on the glass bottom you will lose 5" of rock hight to the sand. On the other hand if you set the rock on top of the sand and you are cleaning the sand or some turbocharged sand sifting creature moves too much sand the rocks may tumble. I would use the PVC or put the rock on the glass. R

I sat all my rock on the bottom of the tank. I now have over 1/2 ton of rock in my tank and do not feel comfortable setting it on PVC. Hirocks.com has good rock. make sure you get the "best" rock it is porous. The "plain rock is ........well plain. they also have auctions on ebay right now. you can get 60 lbs of "best" rock shipped to your door for less than $87.

So how dense is the Hirocks base rock?? What type of live rock looks the most like the Hirocks rock?? How many pounds per gallon do you think looks good, but still leaves room for the fish :wink: Thanks. R

They have pictures on there site and on the auctions. It is comparable in texture etc. to liverocks.com keys rock. Most people recommend 1.25 to 1.75 lbs of live rock per gallon My base rock was purple in around 4 months from the keys rock seeding the coralline

Brenden said:
I sat all my rock on the bottom of the tank. I now have over 1/2 ton of rock in my tank and do not feel comfortable setting it on PVC.

I’ve always wondered about excessive weight ie: ½ ton of rocks sitting on a couple of PVC. Personally I think the PVC would be fine for 55 gal and under but in your case I can understand not wanting that kind of pressure focused!

Out of curiosity how thick is the acrylic on your 525 gal?

Wish you had some photo’s of that tank :D

i ordered from hirocks too..they are pretty nice...the big pieces look like chunks of cement though smaller pieces look a lot better, you mite wanna try getting those

My local fish shop has something it calls "lace rock" that is $1.50/Lb. I have heard of people using it in SW and I could pick out the pieces. It has a different look than the Hirocks stuff. I don't know about it's ability to become "alive" like the Hirocks can. R

Anything can "come alive" the benefit is if it is porous, which means more surface area for the bacteria etc. second benefit to hirocks and other base rock sellers is ther rock is calcium carbonate. It is a natural buffer to help maintain PH in your system.

I got something like 80 lbs from them and was completely satisfied. You just cannot beat that price. The rocks were kind of big but were relatively porous.

Back
Top Bottom