hissing RO/DI unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got my hands on an RO/DI unit and I am slowing filling a rubbermaid tub as I write this. Is occassional hissing normal from these units?

I've got a 50GPD and the going is very slow. There is a slow hiss that seems to be coming from the waste water connection.

or maybe we're abnormal ;)

Thanks. It's not leaking water or anything, just that hissing noise. I sure wish there was less waste water and the RO/DI water was flowing faster. It's going to take a long time to fill the 90G and sump and refuge.

A hiss makes me think of a leak, but if you don't see any leaks, then its probably normal. Mine doesn't hiss but it kinda makes a humming like sound (hard to describe).

Unfortuantely with RO units, the waste to "good" water is like 80-20.

Me, when I had a larger saltwater, I cheated on the first fill-up. I used distilled water for half, then filled up the other half with spring water. It was pricey but it was better than wasting about 100 gallons of water :) and I was able to fill the tank immedaitely instead of it taking 3 days.

I also cheated in that I didn't have liverock or sand in the tank when I filled it. I just filled the tank with water and then dumped in the salt according to level I needed and the tank gallonage. With two powerheads, the salt mixed nicely in about 30 hours and then I proceeded to add the sand and liverock. Once I got the initial cycle done, I then started using RO for my water changes.

That tank ran beautifully for three years until I had to move and ended up converting to freshwater due to a job change and desire for a lower maintenance tank.

I've got the tank about 3/4 of the way full. I've added salt and a heater to the main tank and salt to the sump. The salt levels are not perfect, but they will get there. I usually leave the RO unit running overnight and then fill the tank in the morning.

I'm looking at putting some LR into it tonight. Not the whole shabang, but a good chunk. the LR is already cured, so I'll drop in a shrimp (from the supermarket) to keep the ammonia going. The rocks should displace enough water to have the sump connected via the overflow.

I'll have to put up a thread on tank progression. I had to make my sump out of a 20G long and made a totally ghetto overflow box from clear acrylic.

Where Is your R/O unit located. I have my unit hooked up in the utility room and run the waste water into my washing machine. No waste.....

Where Is your R/O unit located. I have my unit hooked up in the utility room and run the waste water into my washing machine. No waste.....

It's by the sink near the garage. It's about thirty feet from the tank down a hallway and the washing machine is upstairs. Hauling 30G of water in a garbage pail is hard enough, I'm not hauling that stuff upstairs too :)

That's what eventually plan on doing when I get my Sump/Fude reloacted down to the basement/laundry room.

So, I assume you have a holding vessel, like a 55gal Drum where you store your waste water? If so, how do you get it from the Drum to the Washer?

Thin cat...that is a good idea...didn't even think of that. It just so happens I am using the connection to a utility sink in my basement and running, the "good water" line up under my sink and then out to the container. My washer is right next to the utility sink :)

Thanks for the good idea.

Terese

That's what eventually plan on doing when I get my Sump/Fude reloacted down to the basement/laundry room.

So, I assume you have a holding vessel, like a 55gal Drum where you store your waste water? If so, how do you get it from the Drum to the Washer?
The RO/DI unit is next to the laundry Sink next to the washing machine. I hook up the unit, I use the hosebib attachment,(red line) I then run the Black...(Waste line) directly into the washing machine. The BLUE, (ro/di water) into my container to use as topoff water and PWC water. I use a five gallon bucket(homeDepot) in the 5g bucket I put a one gallon jug and fill that with water. If I'm a little late the water fills into the 5g so there is no waste. I could hookup an auto shut off.....but why....it's a HOBBY. When I need to wash cloths the water is already in the machine and ready to go...This was recommended to my by Lisa from Fantasy Reef forum a while back...Thanks Lisa.....

Back
Top Bottom