hitcher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i had a white looking crab come in on my acro i just recived today. he is still alive but wont come out of the coral. he just stays in the center. will this hurt the coral? hes cool looking i hope he comes out. hes no biger then the eraser on the end of a pencil

Probably a "gall crab," often commensal by attaining food and/or shelter directly from the coral yet keeping it free of parasites.

nice. thats cool then i like that. i will do a search on that type and see if it is that. but it sounds like it.
thanks

Frogspawn said:
i had a white looking crab come in on my acro i just recived today. he is still alive but wont come out of the coral. he just stays in the center.

I`m sure he comes out when the light goes out. Try a nite time peek on him.

i hope so.. though i never have seen him out yet. he like to hide in the center of the coral and i only see him when he moves about the coral.

It will not leave the coral. They rely on the coral for food and protection. If the coral dies the crabs dies as well.

What a cool hitcher.

Just bought 45lb of live rock hoping to get some good hitchers or even some good plant/coral "Frags" so to speak but nothing but dying plant life.

Great extra, congrats.

KurtsReef said:
Just bought 45lb of live rock hoping to get some good hitchers
Give it some time. You'll see pods, mini stars, worms, etc. w/ time (assuming you got decent LR). It took a few months for me.

Back
Top Bottom