Hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynnCeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everyone always talks about hitchhikers on their live rock. How long does it take before these guys show up? Like polyps or other bonus good guys? Am I just unlucky? or impatient?

if you got the rock and placed it into an uncycled tank, in all likelihood they didnt survive the cycle. Sometimes ya get lucky though.

IME it took about 3-6 months to start noticing pods, peanut worms, and some other things. I did not see any mini-stars until about 10-12 months after my initial cycle. Hitch hikers can stay well hidden. I've had things show up in my tank, such as a very small pistol shrimp recently, after not adding any new LR for months and months! Try looking at night, your more likely to see any "critters" that are in there. As Agnate said, keeping ammonia down if your cycling w/ LR will help preserve the life. Though FWIW I did not know any better at the time, and did not do anything to lower ammonia during my cycle(using uncured LR AND a cocktail shrimp :shock:) and things survived. Things will show up, be patient grasshopper :lol:

AHA!! I must learn the ways.... This grasshopper is determined to understand. My tank has cycled, though, and my readings on ammonia have been at zero for months and months. The LR, however, is young.... only been in there a little while (at least it seems that way.) Thanks for the reassurances.

I found a peanut worm over a year after the LR was in my tank. Sometimes thinigs just pop up and others go away. I do agree with MT, 3-6 months is a good time frame. You can also get a flashlight with a red lense and check out the night life.

My tank isnt all that old.. less then 1 month now.

I spot things all the time.
I may be wrong on this, but im guessing hitchhickers will depend on what kinda of live rock and how well establish the live rock is at the time you get it.

I've got a lot of feather dusters all over the place. Some I noticed right away, others im still finding. I look forward to what else pops up over the next few months and into next year.

Back
Top Bottom