Hitchhikers in new 29G biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithadaniels

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post and my first saltwater tank. The tank was just set up a couple of days ago. I noticed some critters on the live rock (see attached). Can someone help ID what they are and whether they are good or bad?

Thanks for your help. This is all very exciting!

Attachments

• image-1115119532.jpg
    image-1115119532.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image-754355792.jpg
    image-754355792.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for the quick replies. I just called the store I bought the rock from and they recommended Aiptasia Solution. I read that Berghia nudibranch are a good natural way to rid the tank of them. If I go with the latter I'll have to order them online since they're not available at my LFS.

Since this is my first saltwater tank any advice on how to rid my tank of them would be awesome.

Thanks!

Use a solution like aptasia-x, Joes juice, or kalkwasser paste in a syringe. Some also have had success with injecting them with lemon juice or boiling water. I would not buy the nudibranch, because if it's effective, and you run out of aptasia, it will starve to death.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just called the store I bought the rock from and they recommended Aiptasia Solution. I read that Berghia nudibranch are a good natural way to rid the tank of them. If I go with the latter I'll have to order them online since they're not available at my LFS.

Since this is my first saltwater tank any advice on how to rid my tank of them would be awesome.

Thanks!

no no no, don't get the nudibranch. nudibranch only feeds off aiptasia. so when you're aiptasia free, the nudibranch will starve to death and rot in your tank. you can go with peppermint shrimps, they're a natural predator of the aiptasia. if you don't have anything in the tank and still in the middle of cycling your tank, i would nuke the liverock by pour some boiled water on top of them. also you can try the lemon juice/vinegar injection method as well.

I done it yesterday with boiling hot r.o water. Took me a couple of goes but it seems to have worked

They will most likely be back. I tried the boiling water method, soaked the rock in unsalted water afterwards for several days and then let the rocks sit in the sun for a few more days. And a few days after putting it back in the tank they were back. They are the most resiliant critters I have ever come across.

I would keep an eye out for them and if they return zap with aipastia x or something else similar like Mr x said above.

Oh boy I'm not very encouraged. It seems like I'll never be rid of them totally especially if I can't get to where they are not seen (against the tank wall or in spots I can't reach or see). Should I bring the rock back to the store, demand a refund, and start all over? Or is the damage done since they can now be in the live sand and water?

I have just looked in my tank........ Turns out there still alive!!

I bought Aiptasia-X and applied on the aiptasia I was able to find. The largest one (which was not too large) took the dose and definitely imploded. The others were small and hard to target. So I'll see how well it took I guess in a few days or so.

Thanks again for all who replied with advice.

Chuck live rocks out. It's not worth the time and effort. They seem to always come back. I got. Stupid Vermited snails on my rocks. And I will NEVER put live rock in my tank again. Once you have one, ylu have trillions. And you don't get rid of them

Op has aipastia X now so he should be able to hopefully contain the situation. make sure you get it in the mouth and then all over it, let it melt and turn to mush and still cover it some more. Thats the best advice I can give, I lost the fight myself and got all new rock, 300lbs of it. :)
i am gong to nuke the 200-300lbs of infested rock with ammonia, this is the only thing i have ever tried that actually worked. But it will kill the rock most likely and everything left in it. I feel bad, but I need to get rid of them. They are heartless nasty little things. ughhh I hate them so much.....

You don't have to throw rock away. That's a major waste of money. This is an ongoing thing in any tank. Most live rock has aptasia and other things on it. It's part of the deal if you are in this hobby and bringing rock from the ocean into your aquarium.
it's not a big deal if you stay on top of it.
The other option is to use 100% dry rock.

i have never tried this out myself, but would a hypo salinity treatment work on aiptasia? or would RO/DI water with neutral pH work? i understand you will lose some BB in the process

You don't have to throw rock away. That's a major waste of money. This is an ongoing thing in any tank. Most live rock has aptasia and other things on it. It's part of the deal if you are in this hobby and bringing rock from the ocean into your aquarium. it's not a big deal if you stay on top of it. The other option is to use 100% dry rock.

I'm definitely not throwing away the LR, especially since it cost a couple hundred. I also understand that the LR comes with, well, live critters and that's what I paid for. If aiptasia are common then I will deal with them. Once the water parameters are good I will get a peppermint shrimp and will continue to dose any outbreaks with aiptasia-x (or other recommended remedies).

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom