Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with Thumper. Cycle first before adding LR.com rock. This is what I did...and I still have most, if not all hitchhikers...the only actual thing I saw die was a sponge (most likey due to air exposure), and a Bobbit worm that I took care of myself! I have a Pistol Shrimp, Anenome Crab, Apitasia eating nudibranch, some snails, crabs, worms, sponges, sea vases, barnacles, and a wide variety of pods that have survived 8 weeks out. Resons for not cycling the LR.COM rocks:

1. Very little die off, thus not a lot of ammonia to complete a full cycle
2. LR.COM does not have to be cured like uncured LR..which you CAN use to cycle the tank
3. Will kill much more life if that tank was already cycled
4. After spending so much on my start up...my credit card appreciated the 4 weeks between starting the cycle and getting the LR

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had plenty of die off and a pretty high spike. I had some sponges that died and made a nasty mess. As stated in the earlier post all my hitchers survived the cycle. The rock looked great. I had some coralline die off but it came back quickly. I would cycle the same way on my next setup. Many factors will determine dieoff and the cold temps these days will definately factor in.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

RMPD109 would you say it was worth it to spend all that money on lr from lr.com and cycle with it. I think that I'm starting to see that you just have to find what works for you within certain parameters of the cycle.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I started my initial cycle I was a definate newbie and had yet to find this site for help. I cycled with LR and fish. The costs for a SW tank are expensive all around and I dont have the extra money to waste but I would still use the LR to cycle any day. My rock had only the casualties of the sponge and no others. The rock looks great and the life is awesome. I regularly see all of my hitchers(except the stars-only glimpses at night) and am very satisfied with the outcome. Next tank will be cycled with LR only. Good luck

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thumper... maybe you or someone else can give just a final end-all checklist to what you would do in an ideal patient manner.

From what I gather:

1) Cycle with a cup of LFS LS from an established tank & shrimp method
2) Once cycle has finished, do a large 25% or so water change, then add (let's say) keys LR from LR.com (or LFS) that has little die-off

Correct? If so, when do you actually go and add a fish or two? Right after you put the LR in, or after another possible "mini-spike" happens right afterwards?

Thought a nice checklist (not that there is only ONE method) would be good for starters.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I really appreciate everyones input and I am trying not to rush into things that is why I am asking all these questions to find out what has worked for others and what I should stay away from. luckily I am finding out info I need to know before my tank comes in. The book I have The Complete Book Of The Marine Aquarium by Vincent B. Hargreaves is alright but I like to hear it from others. Thanks again
Old 03-17-2005, 03:49 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTW... nice name Huey... I actually know the meaning of that name.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com