hitchhikers surviving cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huey112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I plan on getting some LR from liverocks.com, when my tank comes in. I plan on doing my cycle with the LR. My question is what are the chances of "hitchhikers" surviving the cycle?

Not to good, I would cycle the tank with a cup of sand from another tank and use a shrimp and after the cycle is complete than add the lr. No sense in killing your hitchikers for no good reason. Most of them will not tolerate the amonia spike and toxic water conditions.

I agree that the spike may be harmful to the hitchers. I cycled with LR.com and had great success with the hitchers surviving. I got a bunch of crabs, snails, urchins, worms, clams, barnacles, dusters and a pistol shrimp. I had a great success with their survival. I did do a water change when the spike got a little high though.

Rmpd109 you cycled with lr.com and everything turned out ok. Did much die off ie coralline algae or does it still look as good as the day you got it.

True it is possible but you dont need to do a water change on the amonia spike, you need to let the cycle run it's course. I bet you did have die off you just didnt know it was their to know your missing it, I cant see spending big money all to dump it in toxic water when a piece of shrimp will do the exact same thing and you will not loose any critters when adding rock to a cycled tank,makes no sense at all to me other than being in a hurry and this hobby isnt forgiving in that sense.

I thought I read that if you cycled a tank with LS or a little LR (and shrimp) that after the cycle you shouldn't add more LR to the tank or it will cycle again. If that's true, then why bother to do the first cycle if it's going to cycle again?

Not at all, you can add quality lr like lr.com at any time. I added over 200 pounds when my tank was 7 months old, Your ok. The key here is to add cured lr with no or little die off.

huey112 said:
Ok so I plan on getting some LR from liverocks.com, when my tank comes in. I plan on doing my cycle with the LR. My question is what are the chances of "hitchhikers" surviving the cycle?

I was wondering the same thing when I got my lr about a year ago (it was my first sw setup). I don't recall seeing any of my "hitchhikers" die during the first cycle. Not to say that none died where I couldn't see them, but I have at least three starfish, at least two pistol shrimps and several crabs that all have survied and thrived in my tank. When I first go the lr shipment I thought maybe I had 1 starfish and a couple of crabs.

It was suggested to me at the time to let the tank cycle and that doing water changes would just prolong the cycle unnecessarily, so that is what I did. It worked well for me.

Well it is a good way to do it but I wouldnt do it with lets say keys rock, my thought's are why spend all that money on rock only to run the risk of killing your hitchikers. I cycled mine with lr and their was no life when the cycle finished. All I'm saying is if I had the option to do it over again I would have opted to cycle another method such as shrimp and not kill my critters I paid big bucks for. You may very well have no die off but i did and you run the risk youreslf of doing the same thing. IMO

I agree with Thumper. Cycle first before adding LR.com rock. This is what I did...and I still have most, if not all hitchhikers...the only actual thing I saw die was a sponge (most likey due to air exposure), and a Bobbit worm that I took care of myself! I have a Pistol Shrimp, Anenome Crab, Apitasia eating nudibranch, some snails, crabs, worms, sponges, sea vases, barnacles, and a wide variety of pods that have survived 8 weeks out. Resons for not cycling the LR.COM rocks:

1. Very little die off, thus not a lot of ammonia to complete a full cycle
2. LR.COM does not have to be cured like uncured LR..which you CAN use to cycle the tank
3. Will kill much more life if that tank was already cycled
4. After spending so much on my start up...my credit card appreciated the 4 weeks between starting the cycle and getting the LR

I had plenty of die off and a pretty high spike. I had some sponges that died and made a nasty mess. As stated in the earlier post all my hitchers survived the cycle. The rock looked great. I had some coralline die off but it came back quickly. I would cycle the same way on my next setup. Many factors will determine dieoff and the cold temps these days will definately factor in.

RMPD109 would you say it was worth it to spend all that money on lr from lr.com and cycle with it. I think that I'm starting to see that you just have to find what works for you within certain parameters of the cycle.

When I started my initial cycle I was a definate newbie and had yet to find this site for help. I cycled with LR and fish. The costs for a SW tank are expensive all around and I dont have the extra money to waste but I would still use the LR to cycle any day. My rock had only the casualties of the sponge and no others. The rock looks great and the life is awesome. I regularly see all of my hitchers(except the stars-only glimpses at night) and am very satisfied with the outcome. Next tank will be cycled with LR only. Good luck

Thumper... maybe you or someone else can give just a final end-all checklist to what you would do in an ideal patient manner.

From what I gather:

1) Cycle with a cup of LFS LS from an established tank & shrimp method
2) Once cycle has finished, do a large 25% or so water change, then add (let's say) keys LR from LR.com (or LFS) that has little die-off

Correct? If so, when do you actually go and add a fish or two? Right after you put the LR in, or after another possible "mini-spike" happens right afterwards?

Thought a nice checklist (not that there is only ONE method) would be good for starters.

I really appreciate everyones input and I am trying not to rush into things that is why I am asking all these questions to find out what has worked for others and what I should stay away from. luckily I am finding out info I need to know before my tank comes in. The book I have The Complete Book Of The Marine Aquarium by Vincent B. Hargreaves is alright but I like to hear it from others. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom