Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hitchhikers surviving cycle

Ok so I plan on getting some LR from liverocks.com, when my tank comes in. I plan on doing my cycle with the LR. My question is what are the chances of "hitchhikers" surviving the cycle?

Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not to good, I would cycle the tank with a cup of sand from another tank and use a shrimp and after the cycle is complete than add the lr. No sense in killing your hitchikers for no good reason. Most of them will not tolerate the amonia spike and toxic water conditions.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree that the spike may be harmful to the hitchers. I cycled with LR.com and had great success with the hitchers surviving. I got a bunch of crabs, snails, urchins, worms, clams, barnacles, dusters and a pistol shrimp. I had a great success with their survival. I did do a water change when the spike got a little high though.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:58 AM   #4

Rmpd109 you cycled with lr.com and everything turned out ok. Did much die off ie coralline algae or does it still look as good as the day you got it.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True it is possible but you dont need to do a water change on the amonia spike, you need to let the cycle run it's course. I bet you did have die off you just didnt know it was their to know your missing it, I cant see spending big money all to dump it in toxic water when a piece of shrimp will do the exact same thing and you will not loose any critters when adding rock to a cycled tank,makes no sense at all to me other than being in a hurry and this hobby isnt forgiving in that sense.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:27 AM   #6

I thought I read that if you cycled a tank with LS or a little LR (and shrimp) that after the cycle you shouldn't add more LR to the tank or it will cycle again. If that's true, then why bother to do the first cycle if it's going to cycle again?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not at all, you can add quality lr like lr.com at any time. I added over 200 pounds when my tank was 7 months old, Your ok. The key here is to add cured lr with no or little die off.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: hitchhikers surviving cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by huey112
Ok so I plan on getting some LR from liverocks.com, when my tank comes in. I plan on doing my cycle with the LR. My question is what are the chances of "hitchhikers" surviving the cycle?
I was wondering the same thing when I got my lr about a year ago (it was my first sw setup). I don't recall seeing any of my "hitchhikers" die during the first cycle. Not to say that none died where I couldn't see them, but I have at least three starfish, at least two pistol shrimps and several crabs that all have survied and thrived in my tank. When I first go the lr shipment I thought maybe I had 1 starfish and a couple of crabs.

It was suggested to me at the time to let the tank cycle and that doing water changes would just prolong the cycle unnecessarily, so that is what I did. It worked well for me.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #9

ok now I am confused I posted a question before http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=46113 and I was under the impression to start my tank with lr. That this is one of the best ways to start a cycle maybe I was reading to much into it.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well it is a good way to do it but I wouldnt do it with lets say keys rock, my thought's are why spend all that money on rock only to run the risk of killing your hitchikers. I cycled mine with lr and their was no life when the cycle finished. All I'm saying is if I had the option to do it over again I would have opted to cycle another method such as shrimp and not kill my critters I paid big bucks for. You may very well have no die off but i did and you run the risk youreslf of doing the same thing. IMO

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com