HOB filter necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoTwice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started my first saltwater tank (45gallons) and I wanted to know if a HOB filter is necessary and is it beneficial to a saltwater tank? I have the live sand and rock and protein skimmer. I also have a UV sterilizer? Taking my time and want to do this right

A HOB filter isn't necessary as long as you have proper flow without it. Most saltwater tanks run without any sort of filters aside from Live rock and use powerheads for flow in the tank.

The UV sterilizer is useful but isn't necessary. It can help out with infestations or infections in the tank as well as in a hospital tank but I wouldn't run one constantly.

I think you can get away just using the Berlin Method without an HOB filter. I personally like using one running just a sponge no carbon or ceramic "ammonia removers". The sponge tends to trap nitrates and the way to deal with it is rinsing it on a weekly basis. I rinse it during a water change with water that's coming out of my tank to avoid killing beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom