hob filter or protien skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks.
This will be my first salt tank. I am going to have both live rock and live sand. About 20lbs of rock and 10lbs of sand..Any suggestions for a skimmer? Wondering if the small skimmers work. Don't want to have to spend 150 bucks for a skimmer..

Thanks.
This will be my first salt tank. I am going to have both live rock and live sand. About 20lbs of rock and 10lbs of sand..Any suggestions for a skimmer? Wondering if the small skimmers work. Don't want to have to spend 150 bucks for a skimmer..

If you dont want a filter get a skimmer rated for 2-3x the size of your tank

With skimmers you do get what you pay for. Having aid that, I have several small skimmers and I find I like the aquaticlife one the best. They are about $40 used on ebay and $60 new. Much better than the biocube skimmers and the new fluval skimmer.

If ypu can manage to keep up water changes you can skip the skimmer in such a small tank. I did in the past and just stuck with a larger hang on back filter. I only added a skimmer a few months later when I was going to upgrade the tank.

Hope that helps.

Hey OP, I see youre in Orlando...I am in Deltona not too far away. :)
I can tell you the best stores to go to, I have been to them all lol

I'm about 3 miles from world wide corals. Have everything you need ...for a price..They have some beautiful tanks and fish

Yeah, WWC is expensive but they have some really nice stuff. You need to try Top Shelf as well, they are on Aloma. :)

thanks for the info. I live about a mile from Sea world. Winter park is about a 25 minute ride from me. have to check them out this weekend...

They by far have the largest and cheapest fish selection that I've found. I frequent about 15 different stores and i have always gotten a good deal at top shelf. There is a convention Saturday, the space coast reef convention. Good stuff and all the local stores will be there with their best corals. :)

Only $10 to get in too and they are having a killer raffle as usual. In case you might be interested.....

sounds cool...but I'm one of those poor people that have to work on Saturday.....lol do you know if top shelf is open on sunday's

I had an Eshopps PSK-75H and it worked great for 3 years, it never overflowed. The pump finally quit and I couldn't find a replacement, I had a first generation one. It was a pain to clean because the bubble plate wasn't removable.
I got a Reef Octopus BH1000 after and like it. It's a better skimmer IMO but it's more touchy about being affected by water level in the tank and will overflow. It is pretty easy to clean. The Octopus is $50ish more though.
If you have an ATO I'd go Octopus no questions asked, but if not I'd go the Eshopps. That's my 2 cents between those 2.
This is on a 20H

Back
Top Bottom