Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hob filter or protien skimmer

What would be a better investment for a 20 gallon tank. A protein skimmer or a hob filter.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer. If you have a lot of LR that is a good enough filter. Unless you are talking about a filter as in a fuge then that.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks.
This will be my first salt tank. I am going to have both live rock and live sand. About 20lbs of rock and 10lbs of sand..Any suggestions for a skimmer? Wondering if the small skimmers work. Don't want to have to spend 150 bucks for a skimmer..
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansouci01 View Post
Thanks.
This will be my first salt tank. I am going to have both live rock and live sand. About 20lbs of rock and 10lbs of sand..Any suggestions for a skimmer? Wondering if the small skimmers work. Don't want to have to spend 150 bucks for a skimmer..
If you dont want a filter get a skimmer rated for 2-3x the size of your tank
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With skimmers you do get what you pay for. Having aid that, I have several small skimmers and I find I like the aquaticlife one the best. They are about $40 used on ebay and $60 new. Much better than the biocube skimmers and the new fluval skimmer.

If ypu can manage to keep up water changes you can skip the skimmer in such a small tank. I did in the past and just stuck with a larger hang on back filter. I only added a skimmer a few months later when I was going to upgrade the tank.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey OP, I see youre in Orlando...I am in Deltona not too far away.
I can tell you the best stores to go to, I have been to them all lol
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm about 3 miles from world wide corals. Have everything you need ...for a price..They have some beautiful tanks and fish
Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, WWC is expensive but they have some really nice stuff. You need to try Top Shelf as well, they are on Aloma.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for the info. I live about a mile from Sea world. Winter park is about a 25 minute ride from me. have to check them out this weekend...
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They by far have the largest and cheapest fish selection that I've found. I frequent about 15 different stores and i have always gotten a good deal at top shelf. There is a convention Saturday, the space coast reef convention. Good stuff and all the local stores will be there with their best corals.

Only $10 to get in too and they are having a killer raffle as usual. In case you might be interested.....

Tags
filter, hob, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com