HOB filter refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

What is your thought on taking a HOB filter, like an aqua clear and running it with just LR rubble and maybe some chaeto? This is a 29g fowlr with no sump.

Worth it?

It couldn't hurt, but I'm not exactly sure just how much it would help. Provided you get one of the larger HOB filters, they can hold maybe 2 quarts of water. Some chaeto might be a good addition to it but you would have to modify it so that the chaeto doesn't get washed out into your tank.

I have a AC70 that I modded, didn't take much effort. I had it just running with some LR in it before I had my sump, never had chaeto up till a month ago. Thinking of hooking it up in my sump.

Using a regular filter in a saltwater tank increases nitrates. The use of chaeto in a refugium is there specifically for the reduction of nitrates

What if you just run an aqua clear with purigen or chemipure or something of that nature and LR rubble? No other media and no chaeto?

Back
Top Bottom