Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

HOB filter upgrade? Not sure

I'm setting up my new 55g tomorrow and it's coming with a aqua-tech 30-60. From my fW experience and general talk these do not seem to be good filters.

I have an aquaclear50 on my 29g now, would that be too small for the 55g? I'm thinking it would need to be a bigger model. And nope, I have no room for a sump or anything like that. I know, I know I should have thought ahead. LOL

I should have about 70lbs of LR, 55-80 lbs LS and I am running a remora protein skimmer. I have 2 Koralia 750's for circulation.

What do ya think? Upgrade necessary, if so which AC?

Thanks a ton everyone, I know I ask alot of questions and I appreciate everyones input.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

most of your filtration will be coming from your live rock, the HOB will be mainly used for GFO, carbon and the big thing is mechanical filtration. the higher the GPH the better. most would recommend a turnover rate of 10x with an HOB. i'm running 2 HOBs 200gph and 280ghp with a turn over rate of 18x per hour.

you could use both filters or buy a AC110

Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you think the aquatech 30-60 and the AC 50 would work?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

with a total of 530gph you should be fine but you could always look at getting an AC110 those alone pump 500 gph or look into a canister which most people would say ( which i'd personally do with a tank of that size)
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I thought canisters were a no no in SW due to possible nitrate factory conditions. Trust me I have a fluval and would prefer that but I don't think its done much.

any one have any experience with a canister and SW?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

whats the difference between a canister and a HOB or any other filter for that matter, they all have mechanical filterpads and trap fish poo and pee and what not so they all will build up nitrates at the end of it all. just make sure you rinse off the pads with RO or old saltwater and you should be fine
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take the filter material out of the fuval and put in LR rubble. That way you get the circulaion and no nitrate build up. Then if you need more filtering you could just replace the LR with carbon for a few days. Of course keeping the LR wet with some circulation going.

Tags
filter, filter upgrade, hob, hob filter, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com