HOB overflow vs drilled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pryzz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, just wondering about some pros and cons of the HOB overflows and drilled tanks. Also, experiences and tips on how to make my own if the drilled tank part it better. The tank is a 180 gal that I would like to be a reef. ( if all this money I'm spending and racking my brain so much doesn't kill me. ) haven't decided what size sump yet. Would have loved to have a four foot but the support beam in the bottom of my cabinet tells me otherwise. Unless there is a way I can safely lift it just above the support beam. Thanks in advance. :)

When comparing drilled to HOB there is no comparison drilled wins in every category..if your gonna spend as much money as you will on a reef then no reason not to drill

I'm leaning that way, but drilling seems the cheaper alternative. Not saying if it's expensive that means its better. Just saying.

Also, I've read reviews about some HOB ones that have never failed.

Pryzz said:
I'm leaning that way, but drilling seems the cheaper alternative. Not saying if it's expensive that means its better. Just saying.

Drilled cheaper? That is the best way to set up a tank since with a HOB something as simple as your power kicking off for a second or enough air bubbles building up in your siphon then you could lose your siphon which your return pump won't know so it'll run your pump dry and flood your display tank turning into a massive headache

I'm not denying drilling is better. Yeah, cheaper. Decent HOB overflows are like 150 bucks on ebay.

is there a difference between drilled and built in overflow ??

I don't think so. I'm new to the whole sump system. I've spent a lot if time researching but from what I've read there is different ways to making an overflow and such. I'm just asking for people's experiences and advice. Some are apparently noisy some aren't. Trying to get my brain around it all.

On my 55 reef I run a CPR HOB overflow with an aqualifter pump. It runs silently and only lost siphon once when the aqualifter was fried in a brownout. Ran my sump dry, but didn't overflow my DT.

I think you can build failsafes into both that will not cause overflows. I prefer the drilled method with durso standpipe. Have it in 2 tanks and has never given me a problem and is dead quiet.

spoonman said:
I think you can build failsafes into both that will not cause overflows. I prefer the drilled method with durso standpipe. Have it in 2 tanks and has never given me a problem and is dead quiet.

that's a big plus thanks

IMO 100% drilled especially on a tank that size,....after having both ,..I honestly would never own another larger tank that wasn't drilled or had a built in overflow,

Thanks for the input. I'm gunna drill the tank. Im also never making another reef this big.

Back
Top Bottom