Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
oh i new it held a lot, but i never came up with that.

and anyways, why would you use that over carbon? dont they hold the same?
Carbon is chemical filtration. IMO, it's useful for removing meds or toxins from the water but the replacement advice seems to focus on sales rather than positive impact. As far as old carbon leeching toxins back into the water.... another perpetuated myth. I had a carbon sock in a FW setup for well over a year with no ill effects. It just becomes bio media after awhile.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
oh i new it held a lot, but i never came up with that.

and anyways, why would you use that over carbon? dont they hold the same?
carbon is chemical filtration LR is biological. activated carbon will not house nitrifying bacteria. carbon does have its uses. i run carbon and phosban on all my tanks.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run a little Penguin 100 HOB to switch over to a quarantine tank, if required. I change the pads every two weeks, but rinse them off and scrub off all the gunk on them every week. I often run a small bag of carbon on the outlet side of the filter pad, or a Polyfilter from time to time.

I clean the whole unit about once every 6 months, so I'd say your weekly cleaning is probably a bit overkill. Just until recently, my nitrates have never gone above 1.0 ppm. For some reason they always seem a little elevated during the summer months. Right now they're a tad over 2.0 ppm. (46g, 10% water change weekly.)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I had a carbon sock in a FW setup for well over a year with no ill effects. It just becomes bio media after awhile.
Yup... and that's why you want to replace it every couple weeks. Once it becomes biological media, the carbon isn't doing it's job anymore... darn bacteria is hogging all the pore space that the carbon needs to do its job.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

couldnt you just, idont know, boil it or somting to get rid of the bacteria?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
couldnt you just, idont know, boil it or somting to get rid of the bacteria?
no but I don't know and can't find(google) why. activated carbon "sizzles" when you add water. Kurt probably knows why....he seems to know everything else I want to know.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Yup... and that's why you want to replace it every couple weeks. Once it becomes biological media, the carbon isn't doing it's job anymore... darn bacteria is hogging all the pore space that the carbon needs to do its job.

You only want to replace it if you want to run it in your system. It has uses and is personal preference. I prefer to use it only when I want to remove something specific from the water, not full time.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right now I am running HOB filter on a tank with the ceramic noodle type things in it and sponge filter stuff. Once I get everything gathered up I plan on doing something like this Reef Central Online Community - How to DIY an AC 70 fuge I am trying to decide how to do a low cost light for it. The one I have is an AC70 I will beable to put my heater in there to keep it out of the tank if I want.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
I have two hob, one filled with rubble and one with a filter cartridge i change monthly. It keeps my water clear from the mechanical side.

Please do a post about your conversion of the ac70 into a fuge, Thats interesting stuff.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not good with a camera, my friend saw me taking some pictures and told me I am trying to shake my camera to death. At least I know the cause of by blurry pictures it me not the camera.

Tags
filter, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com