Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
Thom - I am researching protein skimmers as well and I like this unit. It looks like it wouldn't dwarf my 37-gallon tank like the Coralife 65 I was considering! A few questions please ...

• I assume you don't use the media bale as that would be considered a nitrate source?

• Do you think the unit is noisy?

• Do you recommend the pre-skimmer or bubble-trap for this unit?

Thanks for any additional info!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have the unit myself I was originally planning on setting up a 55g reef and this was going to be the skimmer I was going to use on it but then I decided to go with a 75g. I have only heard positive reviews on it. If you googled it I'm sure that you would find a bunch of reviews on it.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea - I read reviews on several sites and it does seem everyone says good things about this particular unit.

Right now I am setting up a FOWLER aquarium and gonna start without a skimmer but the unit may be a future purchase for me.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Yea - I read reviews on several sites and it does seem everyone says good things about this particular unit.

Right now I am setting up a FOWLER aquarium and gonna start without a skimmer but the unit may be a future purchase for me.
As I found out through these forums a skimmer is a must along with an R/O unit. I got the skimmer and glad I did and am working on the R/O unit.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
As I found out through these forums a skimmer is a must along with an R/O unit. I got the skimmer and glad I did and am working on the R/O unit.
I definitely think a protien skimmer is in my future .

It does seem as though the opinion of using a protein skimmer for a FOWLER tank varies greatly. One of my LFS says yes I need one and another says I will be fine with my live rock, plenty of water movement and a power filter for surface agitation and media such as carbon.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore20 View Post

What about the AquaC remoras? How are they?
I run an AquaC Remora Pro on a 46g reef tank, and am happy with it. But it's the only skimmer I've had, so I don't know any better! Some folks hate the Remoras, some love them. The only thing I've read consistent with what I've experienced is that they don't skim dry... they produce a pretty wet skimmate. I don't see that as a bad thing, but you do have to keep an eye on water level/salinity if you run it wet.

With that said though, I'm in the process of getting a different skimmer. The Remoras have the feed pump in the main tank, and I'm just getting tired of having it eat up tank real estate. That, and the fact that the Mag3 pump I have on mine tends to get persnickety from time to time has led me to see what a different skimmer will do for me. If Warner Marine can EVER get their new H2X skimmer to market (it's only been delayed 8 months now...), I'm going to give that a try. It's definitely a pricier skimmer than the Remora, but for your size tank, you might look at the H1 model - it's designed for smaller tanks. Not sure what the price is on that.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Thanks Kurt! I'll check out that H1.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, hob, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com