HOB skimmer for a 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I need some recommendations for a HOB skimmer for a 30g reef tank. I don't want to spend a whole lot, but I want something that is pretty good quality. I don't really know which brands are good and what size to get, so I need some assistance!

Thanks!

(start looking for a ton of threads as I piece together this tank in the months to come) :D

That's not a protein skimmer... just a power filter with a "surface skimmer" option. Google 'hob protein skimmer" and you'll find a few. Not sure how much you're looking to spend, but realize the "good quality" isn't going to be dirt cheap when it comes to protein skimmers.

Thanks for the suggestions! My budget is just something less than $200. I have read now that you can't skimp on the skimmer. Seems that there are several options, so that's good to know. I will check out your recommendations and keep them coming, now that you know my budget.

What about the AquaC remoras? How are they?

Any certain gph that I need to look for?

I tried to search here and on other sites, but the search won't recognize the "hob" so it just pulls up all threads with the word skimmer....which has been helpful but not completely. :)

Last edited:
Sorry can't help you with that one, when i was doing my research the Octopus brand was always mentioned and many stated they did a good job. This is my 1st SW tank so my only experience with skimmers is the octopus. I'm assuming you're setting up a SW tank? You mentioned that you didn't have on yet. Good luck with your search.

Thanks. Yes, I'm setting up a 30g reef tank sometime in the near future. :) Starting to research equipment now so I can start piecing together the tank soon.

Coooool. Good luck with it, I'm almost done and let me tell you that the lighting portion (Can drive one to drink) and skimmer (I felt like I was gambling when i made my decision)selection I found to be the most difficult.

Thom - I am researching protein skimmers as well and I like this unit. It looks like it wouldn't dwarf my 37-gallon tank like the Coralife 65 I was considering! A few questions please ...

• I assume you don't use the media bale as that would be considered a nitrate source?

• Do you think the unit is noisy?

• Do you recommend the pre-skimmer or bubble-trap for this unit?

Thanks for any additional info!

I don't have the unit myself I was originally planning on setting up a 55g reef and this was going to be the skimmer I was going to use on it but then I decided to go with a 75g. I have only heard positive reviews on it. If you googled it I'm sure that you would find a bunch of reviews on it.

Yea - I read reviews on several sites and it does seem everyone says good things about this particular unit.

Right now I am setting up a FOWLER aquarium and gonna start without a skimmer but the unit may be a future purchase for me.

Yea - I read reviews on several sites and it does seem everyone says good things about this particular unit.

Right now I am setting up a FOWLER aquarium and gonna start without a skimmer but the unit may be a future purchase for me.
As I found out through these forums a skimmer is a must along with an R/O unit. I got the skimmer and glad I did and am working on the R/O unit.

As I found out through these forums a skimmer is a must along with an R/O unit. I got the skimmer and glad I did and am working on the R/O unit.

I definitely think a protien skimmer is in my future :D.

It does seem as though the opinion of using a protein skimmer for a FOWLER tank varies greatly. One of my LFS says yes I need one and another says I will be fine with my live rock, plenty of water movement and a power filter for surface agitation and media such as carbon.

What about the AquaC remoras? How are they?

I run an AquaC Remora Pro on a 46g reef tank, and am happy with it. But it's the only skimmer I've had, so I don't know any better! Some folks hate the Remoras, some love them. The only thing I've read consistent with what I've experienced is that they don't skim dry... they produce a pretty wet skimmate. I don't see that as a bad thing, but you do have to keep an eye on water level/salinity if you run it wet.

With that said though, I'm in the process of getting a different skimmer. The Remoras have the feed pump in the main tank, and I'm just getting tired of having it eat up tank real estate. That, and the fact that the Mag3 pump I have on mine tends to get persnickety from time to time has led me to see what a different skimmer will do for me. If Warner Marine can EVER get their new H2X skimmer to market (it's only been delayed 8 months now...), I'm going to give that a try. It's definitely a pricier skimmer than the Remora, but for your size tank, you might look at the H1 model - it's designed for smaller tanks. Not sure what the price is on that.

Back
Top Bottom