HOB Skimmer opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Afternoon ladies and gents!

I have a questiion regarding HOB protein skimmers, as I'm looking to make a purchase in the next day or 2. I was originally going to go with the...

Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue - AquaCave

I've heard good things about the RO systems. But then I've also heard that people we happy with their AquaC Remora skimmers.

I'm really looking for some opinions here, preferably from experience, on what I should get for my 75g. I'm starting from scratch if that matters at all. I live in a smaller room also (On base, about the size of a small dorm room), so I'd like to take noise into account, as I wouldn't want to feel like I'm in a jet plane taking off (I get that to much during the day!). Thanks in advance!

That would be your Best bet to go with IMO... All Octopus Skimmer are great skimmers to have I wish I would have gotten on for my tank when I first started but CPR work good to.

I am currently doing the same thing. I saw an 800s up and running and it made no noise at all. it has a sicce pump and is said to be the best of the best. It also has a compartment for chemical filtration. Lowest price I have seen is 219.00 If noise is an issue this is the way to go!!!

The pump is internal also so there is no chance of leaking. the 1000 is external. It is DEAD QUIET the water entering and exiting the pump made more noise than the pump. It is also a stronger skimmer rated up to 135 gal tank

Last edited:
I have the Octopus 100f for about two weeks now and is working great! Is not loud at all..had a little problem with the microbubbles but it was fixed today by putting a screen at the end of the outflow....

I have the BH-800s on my 120 and it does a fantastic job, I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom