HoCkEy's 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ive been thinking alot about a cuc lately. im not sure what is and isnt safe. ill be getting all the fish as juvi's.

what i will be getting:
large skunk cleaner shrimp
pincussion urchin
longspine urchin
turbo snails
nassi sanils
bittle star

What idk about:
hermits
"open" crabs (like emerald or whatever)
fan worms
banded coral shrimp

also, any other suggestions?
one more thing, how were those test results, thoughts?
and is 3 shrimp do do the cycle too much?
Thanks!

new results for today:
nitrate: 120 mg/l
ammonia: 1.0 mg/l
nitrite: above 10 mg/l (higher than the tester goes)
alkalinity: 300 kh
ph:7.8
salinity: 1.028 (ill be adjusting that later)
temp: 80 F

can someone help me analize these compaired to yesterdays?
Thanks!

cycle finished! only cuc for a while will be one urchin because of the amount of algea. i have lots of diatoms or whatever that rusty brown stuff is called.

Sounds like your doing good. I might have missed it and probably did but what were the pvc at the bottom of your substrate for? Tanks looking good, cant wait for pics with your fish in it.

it helps create a dead waterspace which supposably makes bacteria gorw like wildfire and gets rid of nitrates. some love it, others say its outdated. im just taking a wack at it =]

it helps create a dead waterspace which supposably makes bacteria gorw like wildfire and gets rid of nitrates. some love it, others say its outdated. im just taking a wack at it =]

Was gonna ask you the same thing... Thanks!!

PS - I love your screen name on these boards.. Not sure what it's all about, but anything to do with Hockey is good with me.

PSS - Tonight is my Semi-Finals - Mens Ice Hockey :)

lol, i see youre form new york, you know peter mannino on the islanders, im good friends with his cousin, he played good today. won 2-4 against the flames.
=]

wow the tanks plans have changed! now i have a flame angel, a pair of clarkii, and a tomini tang.
cuc includes a variety of nassi snails, turbo snails, serpent star, brittle star, pincushion urchin and a measly hermit.
=]

nassi snail
img_969700_0_5580347da5e31fb2e67b36fb09af9a8f.jpg

detritus build up on power head
img_969700_1_c18ae533e5c9d73c07280ef230b2f9b1.jpg

pair o' clarkii clowns!
img_969700_2_7cff3125517893aa97c92e8ca296bab2.jpg

horrible pic of my flame
img_969700_3_ff7204c8a0e2029c8e1d48e4ba0903e9.jpg

nearly impossible to get a good pic of this guy!
img_969700_4_37d5e3b1c46124376200c493b05b6451.jpg

shows the colors a little better...
img_969700_5_e0c20846996144e9fa721fe7e8ba816b.jpg

there ya go! i should be getting some t-5's soon so ill take all new pics then!
Thanks!
=]

well, as many know, the fish didnt make it past a few weeks. but, the tank know has a chromis and abbot 10 different corals. but now i need help on my stocklist. im in fairytail land with my ideas now so i need some help. so heres what i want and i need help slimming the list down
3 blue green chromis
2 occy clowns*
2 bangaii cardinals
1 midas blenny*
1 pink spot watchmen goby
2 bar gobies
1 flame angel*
*starred items are the ones that are most wanted. flexible with the rest.
Thanks!
Edit: also, i may be getting a fuge to help out w/ my bioload.

might want to trim down the amount of gobys you have in the tank. If you decide to keep them all make sure you put them in at the same time and have plenty of rock work for them to make burrows and hiding spots. Also watch out for dwarf angels. They can be coral terrorizers.

3 blue green chromis
2 occy clowns
2 bangaii cardinals
1 midas blenny
1 pink spot watchmen goby
2 firefish or 2 Bar gobies (im torn between the two)
and thatll be all.
one more question, would it be ok for me to introduce a chromis weekly for the next two weeks? or should i add the 2 to complete the trio at the same time?
and is there a way to sex firefish or are they all male like clowns then one changes?
TIA

Be careful on the Overload of your Tank size too many fish can be and issue, I know they are smaller fish but to many can be stressful I would say the most 8 if that... but depends if your doing Coral to.

the flame angel will limit what type of corals that you can put in the tank. Trust me, I learned from my mistake(a very expensive mistake). My bi-color angel terrorized my Acans, so much so that they closed up and eventually died. Two of my zoos also died from the angel nipping at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful on the Overload of your Tank size too many fish can be and issue, I know they are smaller fish but to many can be stressful I would say the most 8 if that... but depends if your doing Coral to.

thats kinda why i made this, to help me slim down on stock...

I would probably go with the firefish instead of the bag gobies. They are still in the goby family i believe but the body shape is different so it would probably help you avoid the possible problems of having three gobies in a tank.

I have found that no to tanks are the same. I would keep the stock list the way it is now. Start by adding your favorites first and once you get closer to the bottom of the list start adding fish very slowly. Maybe a couple months between fish. This will allow you to evaluate how fast your nitrates are rising and if you can keep them under control before add another fish.

Back
Top Bottom