HOME DEPOT SAND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NEWTOSALT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im gonna do deep sand bed in my 90 gallon at first it will be decorative rock and then maybe ill get some live rock anyway what sand can i get from home depot? how much? should i put the home depot sand under my live sand? TIA oh yeah how much does the home depot sand cost?

OldCastle/Yardright/Southdown playsand -- say around 5.00 for a 50lb bag -- the sand must be calcium based NOT silicate based

There's a sand calculator on this forum that will get you an aprox amount of sand that you need.

Make sure you go to the GARDEN CENTER for the sand. Tell them you want the tropical playsand for a sandbox.

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the Old Castle bag.

Attachments

• southdown_sand_899.jpg
    southdown_sand_899.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 266
  • yardright_sand_166.jpg
    yardright_sand_166.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 314
Call local Home depots and have them check the SKU. The HD SKU for Old Castle Tropical is 578-819 - only works for HD I think. Also, if they don't have it, they may be able to find the nearest store that stocks it.

That sku also comes up as something else here in Texas. I was really excited to find some only to find that it was regular garden sand from a local company...

this is harder to get than i imagined they said they dont have it and dont know when they will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had read on a fourm that the place where the sand was made was turned into something else? Don't recall what, they said that there will be no more Old Castle sand. Thats just what I read on a fourm.

If I can tag onto this forum I already have an established aquarium with a sand bed. Can I add this into my tank to make my sandbed deeper?

i would think so but if there is already water in the tank than it would cloud up prolly

You can "cure" the sand in a tub so it gets coated with bacteria and then add it. Add no more than ½ - 1" at a time.

To cure use teh fishless cycle method (see articles) and mix the sand every day in the tub.

Hey mjvincent...

We have been searching frantically for sand ourselves, and we made a great discovery. There's this website for the Marine Aquarist's Association of South Texas www.maast.org that we stumbled upon. There is a forum for selling/trading, and there is sand available. Apparently the company can't sell the sand here in the south as the cheap playsand (it's the same exact company that sells the Carib Sea aragonite aquarium sand). Something about non-competition agreements. But these guys from MAAST arranged to buy the sand directly from YardRight - they had to get 16 pallets of it! Holy cow! So anyway, this one guy named Ed has it and it's $15 per 40 lb bag. We went tonight and picked up three and he had a bunch more still at his house, and I guess he goes and picks up a few more pallets of it from wherever they delivered all 16 pallets when he needs more. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.maast.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8845&start=105

Good luck! Thought I could be of some help since you're in Texas, too :)

I know this thread hasn't been touched in a couple days but I'd just like to give a HUGE THANK YOU to demodiki for posting that link!! I was able to contact Ed and buy 2 bags so I can create my DSB.

So thank you, you saved me ALOT of money.

Yay, I'm so happy we could help! :D We were so excited to find it ourselves. Good luck with your DSB :)

I like the forum over there, too. We're thinking about joining MAAST. They have monthly meetings - next is March 13 that we're thinking of going to. Not sure if you saw that, but it's a pretty neat thing to have a local group here in south Texas.

Danny & Melissa

Back
Top Bottom