Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Home Depot sand?

I went to Home Depot to buy sand on the cheap, i couldn't find any besides silica based. I did however find this one called Aragon, or Paragon. One or the other, but someone please tell me this is aragonite based?

Old 09-17-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you for sure. The only way to really test it is to take a sand and put it in a glass with some vinnegar, if the sand fizzes then it is aragonite based if not then it is silica.

Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Silica sand isn't really that bad, it just doesn't have the added benifits of argonite. Some people will go crazy about the chemistry of silica, but it's the same compound as the glass of your tank, and you don't worry about that disoving into the water.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
ive gotten aragnite sand from home depot before. here it was like 7$ for 50 lbs. but some of them dont have it
Old 09-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, name brands of aragonite would be nice, i can't just climb up the scafoldings and pull out my vinegar and test it. It would be a pain in the *** to get someone to get it down for me then saying whoops sorry this isnt the kind, and then walk away.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
theres usually bags there that have broken alread .

mines called like.. "tropical playsand" it has like... err it says its gotten from the carribbean and its white. like not clear like silica but opaquely white
Old 09-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have put silica based sand into my marine aquarium a little over a month ago and it still going great. My clown fish seems to love it. I simply got the quikrete brand from the depot. It has been washed and dried already . I put it in hoping for good luck and I have NO problem with it whats so ever. Sorry if this seems like bad advice but it worked for me folks. :P
Old 09-17-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
i have the sme problem looking for the tropical sand in houston's home depots. but every hd has the quikrete playsand. the grain is larger than the Pavestone brand. the pavestone brand sand is much finer and if you dont have any problems with the quikete brand, the pavestone sand is what i will get. thanks
Old 09-18-2005, 05:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i decided to give in and spend 40 bucks for 40 lbs of fine grain live sand, oh well, better to just pay a little extra to know what your getting i guess, cheers!
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just bought 6 bags (50 lbs each) for $1.99 from Home depot in Southbend Indiana.. It was in a generic looking blue bag, said playsand on the bottom. But was labled for Landscaping at the top. I got it because at the bottom in small letters said it was made by Old Castle. Figured worse case, kid had a new sandbox ) Vinger test, it Bubbled. Its white, very fine sand too!

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com