Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahh, in that case, I'd agree with you Jeff!

Old 07-22-2004, 09:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ambulocetus
As far as I know, the H.D. sand is great for reptiles, I work at a pet store, and we routinely buy 100lb of it and bag it up into small 5lb bags and sell it for $2 right next to the regular $7/8 Calci-Sand sold for reptiles. Haven't ever had any complaints about it in many years so far!

Old 07-27-2004, 02:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I used 200lbs of HD Silica playsand as my dsb (4.5 inches). Sand (silica dioxide) is what the glass is made of. All you have to do is rinse it really really well, which is a huge pain in the $@%. Mine has been going for almost 2 years, and I've not had any diatoms blooms, outside the small initial bloom when I got new PCs. I cured the tank with raw large shrimpt and about 150lbs of uncured live rock. It works fine. Only unwanted algae growth that I've had is the Cyano that I've recently aqcuired in small amounts, which I attribute fully to my 5 month overdue RO/DI filter change.

In short....I've had good success with the all dreaded SILICA playsand at $1.50/50lbs. Growing softies, tripled the size of open green brain, and grown many toadstool and leather frags. I've had carpet anenome and gorgonians for over a year and they're great. The only key I would say is is to really really really rinse the heck out of it....you don't want any of the silica "bran" just the good stuff.

If anyone has had bad experiences I'd like to hear about them. As far as I know, not too many of you are dumb enough like me to try less than proven quality products on our precious systems.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Sand (silica dioxide) is what the glass is made of.
I don't really know where I was going with that.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

hmmmm i dunno if im going to risk it just yet, im probably going to let my tank stabalize and cycle and get up and running really really good, and when im happy with everything......thats when ill try something new and screw it all up

1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
moejoephd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com