Honest mistake, Carib-Sea sand in a fresh water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafe Jeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dear Aquarium Advice members,

Please excuse my possible stupidity. I posted this already in the fresh water forums but on reflection think it may be a marine question though it ultimately doesn't concern a marine tank. Far from it.

After finally deciding to go salt-water, after having maintained freshwater tanks for about 10 years and intermission of another 10, I purchased 40 kilograms of very fine 'Carib-Sea Argonite'--which I assumed was simply over priced sand. After filling the 55 gallon aquarium (and insufficiently washing the sand beforehand), the water became very cloudy. Because the aquarium was to be placed in a Child’s Playroom, I had second and third and fourth thoughts about maintaining marine fish as I thought it would be too traumatic if there were deaths related to inexperience and so decided to go with what I was familiar with: African Cichlids who do like quite hard water. I would set up a small marine at the office where I could keep a good watch on the critters. A few days after setting up the aquarium, and having decided it would be freshwater, and with the cloudiness going down by half, I installed a few small specimens. As african Cichlids are often kept in tanks with coral substrate, dolomite or the like, I considered that the change of plans would not be that important. After the fact, I came to worry that this particular sand might not be suitable for freshwater African cichlid use (as it seems from the advertisments in FAMA that it is pre-populated with bacteria and this concerns me as it is sea water bacteria) and the cloudiness might not simply be dust but a bacterial bloom and the sand may be an accident waiting to happen. Is Carib-Sea sand suitable for freshwater hard water loving cichlids? So far, the few fish seem to be doing well, but…

My son (and me) would not be happy and there is still time to fix things.

All the best. Jeff

Carib-Sea can be found at www.carib-sea.com. The tank is a tall 55 gallon with 40 kilograms of sand. A Penguin 300, three little cichlids, a tiny plec and some ornaments. Flowerpots soon to come.

You shouldn't need to worry about bacteria, the FW and SW bacteria are different, and the fresh water would kill your SW bacteria very quickly. The cloudy water could very well be a bacteria bloom, it's a new tank is it not? I don't think I've ever seen a FW tank cycle that didn't get foggy at least a little bit. so adding in the aragonite probably just helped it a little with sediment, haha.

The biggest problem I see is that the PH of the water is going to be around 7.0 I'm assuming, which is very low for the Aragonite. This is what is done in a calcium reactor to break this stuff down to add alk and calc to the water. So I'm going to take a guess that the sand will break down over time and add lots of calcium and alk to your water. As long as the FW fish can handle this, you should be ok, but I'd talk to someone that has run a Calcium Reactor for awhile and see what this stuff turns into, haha...

Any saltwater bactera that acutally is in the bags would have died when it was added to the tank with freshwater. After the inital bactera dieoff you shouldnt expect any thing to occur further down the road.

I personally have my doubts as to the acutal level of bactera in that sand anyway.

That's reassuring.
I have my doubts about how much actual bacteria is in the sand too, but those are doubts of convenience.
Now I have had blooms before, but nothing of this degree before, but they have never worried me over much before except last night when I was reading a fish mag and thought to myself--this might not be the right kind of bacteria!

nyghtone writes:

The biggest problem I see is that the PH of the water is going to be around 7.0 I'm assuming, which is very low for the Aragonite. This is what is done in a calcium reactor to break this stuff down to add alk and calc to the water. So I'm going to take a guess that the sand will break down over time and add lots of calcium and alk to your water. As long as the FW fish can handle this, you should be ok, but I'd talk to someone that has run a Calcium Reactor for awhile and see what this stuff turns into, haha...

Hmm. I hadn't thought of the reverse reaction.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom