Hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaurenPog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Several of my fish have ick and I'm trying to start up a hospital tank but need some help. What all do I need for a hospital tank? I was thinking of using a 10 gallon aquarium but wasn't sure if that's big enough. Any information would help.

I use a 10 gallon for mine as well, I use a HOB filter, Heater and a small power head.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used Kordon Rid-Ich plus and it worked pretty well. Just be .sure to keep your HT supplies separate from your DT supplies.

About how many hours a day do they need light? Should it be constant or about the same as the regular tank?

I kept my light on the same schedule as the DT, but if it stresses them out keep it off. You have to watch them and see how they respond.

I treated my hospital tank the same as my DT, except with the addition of the ich medication in the hospital tank.

Ok, so pretty much everything is the same but the ick medicine? I shouldn't have rock or sand or anything right? I've heard that before.

You can put a piece of PVC pipe in there for the fish to hide. No rock or sand because once you treat with copper based medicine you can't put it in your DT. The copper will leach from the rock and kill any inverts or corals you have.

No problem. Good luck and let me know how it works out. I've been through the same thing before and if you stay on top of it you'll do fine.

I will. One more question, haha. What can I do to my regular tank to make sure my fish don't get ick again?

There are articles online that you can read about the ich cycle. But if you take all of the fish out of the DT and keep it fish free for 8 weeks that will get rid of the ich in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom