Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
HOT skimmer/bio filter - now should I ditch the canister?

I just bought myself a CPR Bak Pak 2+ and will be picking it up tomorrow to replace a SeaClone piece of crap.

Now, my tank and stand will not accommodate a sump, so until now I have been running only a canister filter with fibrous pads, bio balls and ceramic biomedia in it. With the new skimmer coming, should I discontinue using the canister outright?

I have heard them referred to as "nitrate factories", and judging by personal experience, I believe it to be true.

If you'd suggest I keep the canister, even if just to contribute to flow, what should I use in it?

Also, I have a PhosBan reactor sitting with the rest of the equipment I am not using - would you recommend I get it up and running? I only have a 36 gallon tank - how much media should I have in it, and do you have a specific brand you would suggest?

Instead of setting up the reactor, might I be wise to put a bag of GFO or other media into the canister filter?

Thanks in advance.

RnBMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
You can discontinue, but if you are rinsing out the canister weekly it shouldn't be a nitrate factory.
Keep the reactor. Reactors are much more effective at running media than a canister or any other means of media.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It doesn't become a Nitrate factory as long as you clean them weekly, thus removing the debre that collects and can cause it to be a nitrate factory.
I've been running a canister filter for years to help clean up my water, I've never run into a problem from it.
Run the reactor with GFO in it.
Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) Instructions - Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply
Reefing Madness Tank Pics
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote

bio, canister, filter, hot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com