Houston, we have nitrites....plus a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXclownin'

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 weeks into my cycle and the ammonia has been kinda dropping off (its .75-1 ppm or so right now) Nitrates have been going up and are at about 30 ppm. Nitrites have been elusive, i was only getting very low readings and my LFS tested them on thursday at .25 ppm. I havent tested all weekend and now they are all the way up to 4 ppm! Looks like im having my spike and hopefully the ammonia and nitrites will fall to zero over the next week. When should I do my first water change? After they (ammonia and nitrites) hit zero?

TXclownin' said:
When should I do my first water change? After they (ammonia and nitrites) hit zero?
If your cycling with dead/precured rock you can easily wait until the NH3 and NO2 are undetectable. With uncured or freshly harvested LR, you would be better off doing water changes to control the levels the nitrogens spike up to. Basically it comes down to what's in there worth preserving. Hitchikers will stand a much better chance of surviving the cycle if you help keep the levels down some. Otherwise wait.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom